Isolation valve wrong way round

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I foolishly didnt notice the arrows on the isolation valves when connecting the water supply to my basin. They are both facing the opposite way of water flow :rolleyes:

I've fitted a new tap and the water pressure from the tap is much lower than the old one. Will this be a direct result of the valves facing the wrong way? I thought they were just open/closed?

I also noticed that the flexi's that came from the tap were a much smaller diameter than the old setup so the reduced flow could be the design (it's quite a shallow basin).

They were push fit so turning them round means water off again, some cutting and new valves :(

Sponsored Links
What make of isolation valves were they ? And are they fully open. Some types you can just turn them around (you may need to buy a release tool but they're only coppers). More likely the taps are the wrong sort for you're hot water (low or mains pressure) or if not get some flexi's with a bigger bore. Is the pressure on the cold ok.

I foolishly didnt notice the arrows on the isolation valves when connecting the water supply to my basin. They are both facing the opposite way of water flow :rolleyes: (

Would need to know the make model.

With most cheap isolation valves, the arrow is not for direction of flow.

It simply points to the end that can be disconnected safely, if the pipework is under pressure.

If you undo the wrong end the little ball can fly out, as it's only held in with a spring clip.

I'm not sure of the make, just B&Q. Here is a link

Service Valve

They are definitely fully open and just turn with a flat screw driver. The hot and cold pressure is the same really. The tap is a Gustavsberg Skandic Mono Basin Mixer part no 41225041CH. I'm not sure I can fit bigger flexi hoses due to the lack of space where they screw into the bottom of the tap. My hot water is gravity fed from a tank and the cold water for the bathroom comes from a tank in the loft I believe.

Sponsored Links
If it's the wrong way round, why are you asking here & not turning it back the correct way to see if that improves things? :LOL:

If it's the wrong way round, why are you asking here & not turning it back the correct way to see if that improves things? :LOL:
Well I wanted to make sure it would make a difference first. As stated in my post it'll involve water off, cutting out the valves and fitting new ones. doitall has suggested that the arrow on cheap valves points to the safe side to disconnect so in that case they're the right way round!

seco services - I cant find anything about the minimum pressure. I got it through a friend who works in a bathroom store and he says there is something I can change on the tap to increase the flow. I'll see how that goes.

Reading the manual for the tap range

http://www.gustavsberg.com/files/watersaving.pdf

It appears that the maximum flow rate available from this water saving tap is 5 l/min at 3bar. 5 l/min is probably a lot less than your previous flow rate. If you are not on mains pressure I'm surprised anything is coming out.

I'm not sure of the make, just B&Q. Here is a link

Service Valve

They are definitely fully open and just turn with a flat screw driver. The hot and cold pressure is the same really. The tap is a Gustavsberg Skandic Mono Basin Mixer part no 41225041CH. I'm not sure I can fit bigger flexi hoses due to the lack of space where they screw into the bottom of the tap. My hot water is gravity fed from a tank and the cold water for the bathroom comes from a tank in the loft I believe.

£6.48 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Is that for 10

Reading the manual for the tap range

http://www.gustavsberg.com/files/watersaving.pdf

It appears that the maximum flow rate available from this water saving tap is 5 l/min at 3bar. 5 l/min is probably a lot less than your previous flow rate. If you are not on mains pressure I'm surprised anything is coming out.
ok thanks for that. I'll see how it goes but I might need to change the tap. Water saving has never been particularly necessary in the North of Scotland. We have more than we know what to do with!

£6.48 was for one! I think I probably paid double for the extra bits I needed to get for the bathroom due to starting the project on a bank holiday weekend so no trade stores open and then needing to nip out to get bits in the evening! You think B&Q is bad? Homebase want £11 ish for a push fit isolation valve the same as that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back