Isolation valve fitted wrong way around

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My monobloc basin tap has broken and needs to be replaced.

I turned off the 2 isolation valves but notice one of them has the arrow pointing away from the tap, ie the wrong way around.

The water has stopped flowing out of the tap but I read that sometimes a small ball bearing may fly out of the valve once I disconnect the tap side flexi connector - is this likely to happen ?

Not sure whether its on hot or cold feed, my system is gravity fed with cold water tank supplying bathroom cold if that matters.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
you don't need to worry about pieces flying out ,you do not have very much pressure in a gravity fed system .

PS ,I would drain the pipework and fit a new valve the correct way up ,couple of quid to buy and easy to fit. you must of course turn water off and drain to do that.

OK thanks, that's reassured me, would hate to disconnect it then find it fails and water goes everywhere!

With regards to draining, to isolate hot feed I guess I just close the gate valve feeding cold water into the bottom of the hot water cylinder ?

Sponsored Links
yes but if on cold you need to find the valve , if you have one, that isolates the feed from loft tank to cold taps. if you do not have one ,you isolate feed to tank and drain ,or use a bung.

your welcome. by the way when choosing new tap ensure its suitable for low pressure ,and it comes with flexi hose tap tails ,not copper as some do.

your welcome. by the way when choosing new tap ensure its suitable for low pressure ,and it comes with flexi hose tap tails ,not copper as some do.

Copper would be preferable no?

much easier for a diy'er to connect monobloc with flexi's. the copper tails offer limited flexibility and invariably do not reach /align with supply pipework. although one end of them is 15mm the other end is step reduced to around 6/7 mm ( I.D ) to fit into mono base ,so the flow difference is minimal between them and a flexible hose.

Starfire ,think that tap is only suitable for high pressure plumbing system. regards terry.

Starfire ,think that tap is only suitable for high pressure plumbing system. regards terry.

I checked the Reviews looks like it can do both, will check the box/instructions when I pick it up. Cheers.

Change the ball valves for full bore, you should see an improvement in flow if you are using a gravity system.

What ball valves do you mean?

Managed to fit the new tap OK so happy about that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back