Fitting for access (through plasterboard) to a service valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone advise me on a suitable fitting to put in a plasterboard wall so that I can get access to a service valve (ball valve with screwdriver slot head) but close the opening when not in use?

Background detail: the back-to-wall toilet has a service valve fitted, but to get at it would mean unscrewing both the pan and the cistern, unsealing the pan from the flooring and lifting the pan and cistern forwards. I have persuaded the firm who fitted it that this arrangement hardly satisfies the water regulations about having an accessible service valve.

The simplest answer seems to be to to rotate the service valve so that the slot faces backwards, and make a hole in the plasterboard wall behind the toilet. What I need is a fitting that will open to allow a screwdriver (and enough room to see the slot) - say 25mm diameter upwards - but can be closed when not in use.

Sponsored Links
can't you make an access panel useing the tile and plasterboard.
that what i do for certain access points then you use screws with the plastic caps to secure the panel.

Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping that there might be a simpler fitting - something like a slim tank connector with a flip-up or screw cover?

Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping that there might be a simpler fitting - something like a slim tank connector with a flip-up or screw cover?

Look for plastic escutcheons.

Alternatively, nothing to prevent the pipework being re-routed so isolator is accessible elsewhere (perhaps just under the lid of the access panel for cistern maintenance). If it's all too hard to access now for spanners for compression, as plasterboarded is up, this can be arranged by detouring using 2 or 3 pushfit flexis one of which having an inbuilt isolator, and leave the existing isolator permanently on.

Sponsored Links
did something similar a while ago and used a 50mm flush fitting vent, it has a nice lip on it which goes over the tile and looks like a vent (surprise surprise :LOL: ) so doesnt really look out of place, simply prise it out with a screwdriver to turn off the water

did something similar a while ago and used a 50mm flush fitting vent, it has a nice lip on it which goes over the tile and looks like a vent (surprise surprise :LOL: ) so doesnt really look out of place, simply prise it out with a screwdriver to turn off the water

Got a top tip for a diy safe, which burglars never work out. Be my friend kirk and I'll let you know what you probably know anyway, a man of your distinction ;)

Got a top tip for a diy safe, which burglars never work out. Be my friend kirk and I'll let you know what you probably know anyway, a man of your distinction ;)
consider me to be your friend, now do tell
PS dex these vents are NOT made by McAlpine :LOL:

consider me to be your friend, now do tell
PS dex these vents are NOT made by McAlpine :LOL:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but funny nevertheless.

Hush hush - can't tell you where my safe is on an open forum. :rolleyes:

Thank you to dextrous and kirkgas.

The plastic escutcheon sounds like what I need - but I didn't know what it was called. If it isn't big enough, I'll try the flush fitting vent.

Thanks again.

Thank you to dextrous and kirkgas.

The plastic escutcheon sounds like what I need - but I didn't know what it was called. If it isn't big enough, I'll try the flush fitting vent.

Thanks again.
B&Q will have a load out on display near the door handles ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back