Favourite Christmas tipple?

A perfectly spherical ice cube is what you want if you feel the need to put ice in your whisky.

I feel the need. My most favourite woman, that I have never ever shagged, can tell the difference between any whisky put before her. She is famous for also knowing its exact temperature.
I presume this is the "ideal version" of your ideal woman you've yet to meet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
haha I think it does! :LOL:
Indeed...Whisky Connesuirs do exist,,who swill it around,sniffing it,admiring the bouquet and colour,,debating whether its from a Bourbon keg etc...rhyming off the ingredients and notes etc....Take it all very seriously..Each to their own..All tastes rancid to me.

How did you find life living in Italy Harry? What did you think of the overall experience and could you happily live there do you think? I hear they've got big unemployment among the under 25's
Did you pick up the language a bit?

I was a single fella, living in clover and yes I would have been happy to live there back then, a very friendly race all desperately keen to learn English. I only picked up a smattering of Italian, my only attempt at a sentence had me paraded round the entire facility repeating it GOK's what I had said, but it caused great amusement. I was only supposed to have tried asking if some specially ordered cable, which was holding the job up, had arrived. The food was great in the hotel and in the trattoria for lunch, plus loads of money.

I always planned to go back on a holiday visit to meet old friends, but never actually made it.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you enjoyed it

I'm partial to a Jack Daniels. I realise this will appal whisky afficianados, but it's just an easy drinking, pleasant drink. Have visited the distillery in Lynchburg, Tenn where I discovered their Gentleman Jack which goes through the mellowing process twice (the smell from those charcoal mellowing vats was amazing). That is seriously nice whisky.

What exactly do yoy define as an aficionado? To me it's someone who thinks they know what is best for everyone else, (which is usually what they themselves drink), and thinks anyone who disagrees is a heathen. I'm happy to be a heathen who drinks what I like and not what someone else has said I should drink. I like the two whiskies I mentioned in an earlier post and I also like a drop of Gentleman Jack so I am not appalled in the least.

What exactly do yoy define as an aficionado? To me it's someone who thinks they know what is best for everyone else, (which is usually what they themselves drink), and thinks anyone who disagrees is a heathen. I'm happy to be a heathen who drinks what I like and not what someone else has said I should drink. I like the two whiskies I mentioned in an earlier post and I also like a drop of Gentleman Jack so I am not appalled in the least.

While I agree to a point, and I'm a philistine when it comes to food and drink (I can eat or drink something, dislike it, and order or buy it a fortnight later because I took no notice the first time!), here's a view.....

A bloke at work is an occupational hygienist, and can identify all sorts of chemicals just by their scent.
I presume "aficionados" can do similar, with booze.
That being the case, the stuff you like ; the aficionado might be able to tell that it is actually heavily - flavoured white spirit.

OK, that's an extreme example, but I'd bet the principle stands; while "like" is utterly subjective, the aficionado can probably tell the difference between "decent" stuff, and chemical - laden pap.

I presume this is the "ideal version" of your ideal woman who you've yet to meet?

No. Her name is Maggie (Margaret) & she would immediately strike you visually as a dead ringer for Olive from Popeye.

If you can put aside her SCREECHING voice, she is a very interesting person to know.

Indeed...Whisky Connesuirs do exist,,who swill it around,sniffing it,admiring the bouquet and colour,,debating whether its from a Bourbon keg etc...rhyming off the ingredients and notes etc....Take it all very seriously..Each to their own..All tastes rancid to me.

I know that man. He's practicing what is known as "verbal masturbation". He can often be found in art galleries waving his thumb around to no one in particular.

Do you drink anything with it or is that neat you like it?

Only spirit I would mix anything with would be gin. Brandy, whisky or dark rum would always be neat. Not even ice in whisky as I don't like it's taste as it gets diluted. Could be tempted by rum or JD with coke on a hot day, but would be more likely to go for a G&T given the choice.

This talk of spirits has given me the taste for something now. Got a bottle of Aldi Chevalier brandy on the sideboard that I bought to try as it was only £15. Not bad for a sip of something in the week or nightcap, but still prefer Courvoisier VSOP or Remy Martin.

Last edited:

A whisky/beer/wine/gin/whatever afficianado is usually an expert on their subject who can bore for England. Poss alcoholic too. There's one in most locals (remember those?). The one in my local demanded Springbank and other whiskies be ordered in specially for him by the landlord, and would give me an affected look of disgust if I was within his earshot when I ordered the occasional JD. Takes all sorts, I suppose!

No. Her name is Maggie (Margaret) & she would immediately strike you visually as a dead ringer for Olive from Popeye. If you can put aside her SCREECHING voice, she is a very interesting person to know.
Olive from Popeye a vivacious lady

Does anybody like very good quality Vodka such as "Absolut" which isn't made either in Russia or Poland

Sponsored Links
Back