FCU off spur to surge protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a double socket with two cables going in, I am not 100% sure if it is a spur off a spur or I could have hit the ring If I'm lucky. I did not have a continuity tester with me to test. Anyway for the sake of this lets assume its a spur off a spur my worst case scenario.

What I need to do take off another soket/outlet off that, I was thinking of running a cable to a Switched FCU @ 13Amp. then run the flex out to a 4 way surge protector. I can then power my appliances off that.

Would this be OK to do?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
it could be on the ring.

It could be the first accessory on a spur with one or more further accessories daisy-chained from it.

It could be one of a number of accessories on a spur, with others either side.

You need to test to make sure, and you need to make the FCU the first accessory on the spur, or ideally put it on the ring, then run the rest off that.

(Or more ideally - extend the ring and eliminate the spurs).

Thanks for the reply. The room is on the top floor and the other side of the room is a double socket so could be feeding that. If I get continuity on the live's and neutral's can I assume its the ring?

Can you explain what you mean by the first accessory off the spur? So from the FCU to a 4-way surge protector would be OK?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
The first accessory on the spur is the one with a cable that connects directly to a point on the ring, which might be a junction box on the ring (accessible, of course) or the back of a socket that is on the ring (or even directly to the ring's MCB in the CU).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back