FCU vs isolating switch for fans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody advise me on the regs etc. for extractor fans?

when do I need to use an fcu and when can I use a fan isloator switch instead?

I'm putting a fan in the wc, one in a shower room and one in the bathroom. Are there differences for the different rooms?

ta.

Sponsored Links
A fan isolator will typically be Tripple Pole - IE, it will switch Neutral, Switched Live and Permanent Live.

A Switched Fused Spur will only switch a Live and a Neutral (double pole).

You will need to switch all three poles for timed fans, and only the live/neutral for a non timed version.

You have no requirement to provide additional fusing if supplied from the local lighting circuit, however, you would if supplied from the socket circuit etc. (some may argue that you should provide fusing even if from lighting circuit..........but they are pedantic, and take things very litterally).

So, basically, if you are feeding from the lighting circuit, use only stnadard fan isolators, and use the three poles. If the fan is non timed, you will have an empty pole.

Make sense?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back