featheredge fence - nails or screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

installing a featheredge on top of a brick wall. Will install a 3x2 frame for the featherdge to be fixed to.

should I use nails or screws and what size/spec please?

would really appreciate a quick response as I need to get to it.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Galvanized wire nails 2inch long . Don't use bare steel nails - the rust runs down the wood

Thanks for your help @Nige F. Thought I would share my progress.

Attachments

• WP_20180225_16_24_06_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180225_16_24_06_Pro.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 840
  • WP_20180225_14_51_42_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180225_14_51_42_Pro.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 717
Sponsored Links
Nice fence work, is the top rail a flat piece of timber? As water will sit on top and rot the timber away.

Andy

yes. Need to put calling rail on. I thought I would measure the width once the featheredge is up.

On the capping guys, I've had to have this custom made due to the width. This means that the timber is no longer treated. How should I treat this? I am eventually going to use a fence and shed type treatment to give everything the correct colour but wasn't sure if anything else should be applied first.

Also, am I okay to nail this on too or should I use screws and finally, how much space should I leave at the end to allow for expansion?

Thanks in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back