Feeding new wires down a Stud Wall

Chicken, they are not designed to be used as anything other than decorative lighting, they are not suitable for use in a bathroom despite the fact they can be used on decking.

Sponsored Links
Ah - I see - it's one of those PSUs built into a plugtop, doesn't have a flying lead from which you could have cut off the plug.

It doesn't matter whether the current draw is 2A or 2nA, you can't put a socket on a lighting circuit.

You have 2 options.

1) Plug it into the ring mains

2) Find an alternative PSU which does have a plug and flying lead, remove the plug and wire that via an FCU on the lighting circuit.

OK - heres another way around, If i wire the socket into the RING MAIN, can I use one side of the 2 way light switch to operate it or isn't the light switch up to it (Personally, I dont think it is)
It's bad practice to have two different circuits present at the same accessory, as there's the danger that someone might turn one off, and then think it safe to work on the switch, or whatever, not realising there are still live wires there. I don't think it's actually against the regs, but I might be wrong.

But in any event, why do you think your light switches are not up to the task of switching a 2A load? They should be. I take it, BTW, that you meant one side of a 2-gang switch, not 2-way?

how is putting a 13A socket on a lighting cuircuit any worse than using a 5A rated mains extention lead?!

you cannot just take from a ring to a lightswitch either you must fuse it down first

plugwash said:
how is putting a 13A socket on a lighting cuircuit any worse than using a 5A rated mains extention lead?!
Nothing to do with current - I thought that the mere presence of BS1363 socket outlets on lighting circuits was verboten.
No?

plugwash said:
you cannot just take from a ring to a lightswitch either you must fuse it down first
Err - that's just what I said:

I said:
2) Find an alternative PSU which does have a plug and flying lead, remove the plug and wire that via an FCU on the lighting circuit

Sponsored Links
FWL_Engineer said:
Chicken, they are not designed to be used as anything other than decorative lighting, they are not suitable for use in a bathroom despite the fact they can be used on decking.
Why wouldn't a 12V light with an IP suitable for outdoors be OK for a bathroom?

ban-all-sheds said:
Why wouldn't a 12V light with an IP suitable for outdoors be OK for a bathroom?

Let me qualify my comment a bit better then. The BS that these lights will be manufactured to will be different to that used for electrical safety in a bathroom.

Further, the BS that coveres these lights does so on the premise that they will be used a "decorative light for infrequent use", installing them for permanent use in the floor of a bathroom was not something that would have been covered by the BSi when certifying these lights.

The fact of the matter is the Tx is one incorporated into a BS1363 plug, therefore it is wholly unsuitable for installation in a bathroom.

Here is a quote form the item description in the link supplied by chicken

Includes 4x15mm LED fittings each with 5m cable 12V indoor transformer 6 way junction box with 10m cable.
White LEDs.

Now if these are meant to be used OUTDOORS, why do they have a transformer rated for indoor use only? Why is the Tx not a seperate item that the lead plugs into?

FL1806W.jpg
from here

Breezer, that would be the ideal type of light for what chicken is proposing. These are designed for the environment concerned, designed for permanent installation and actually look quite good too:)

Nice find :)

FWL

I have installed a raft of external SELV gear (mostly lighting) that has an indoor transformer. It sounds crazy, but it's true. Searchlight do a lot of stuff where the tx is not IP rated for ext use. They supply extension leads to make the secondary cable longer!!

Further, the BS that coveres these lights does so on the premise that they will be used a "decorative light for infrequent use"

I am using them for decorative use, not as a main lighting source. They dont emit enough light to be used on there own, they just look nice.

securespark said:
FWL

I have installed a raft of external SELV gear (mostly lighting) that has an indoor transformer. It sounds crazy, but it's true. Searchlight do a lot of stuff where the tx is not IP rated for ext use. They supply extension leads to make the secondary cable longer!!

Well that is just blooming crazy and needs to be addressed by the IEE and BSi. That is just asking for people to get confused and make cock-ups.

Quick question,

Can I use a double backbox, with two separate switch plates attached, a light switch, and a fused switch.

All I have to do then is make the existing hole in the wall bigger.

The light switch will be fed from the lighting circuit, and the separate fused switch from the ring main, that way both circuits will be kept separate.

(The walls Lath & Plaster so attacthing completly new and separate back box is going to be a nightmare)

Chicken said:

It is called ELECTRICAL SEPERATION OF CIRCUITS.

Circuits should not be shared in the way you are advocating as a fault on one can easily cause a fault, and potentially dangerous occurance, on the other.

If you choose to supply the floor lights from a spur via the ring, then it must be switched seperatly from the main light, which is on a different circuit completely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back