Feeding new wires down a Stud Wall

torodial transformers tend to have a high effeciancy and a very low external magnetic field

but they are generally larger and more expensive

Sponsored Links
Incidentally, a torus is the shape of a tokamak-type nuclear fusion reactor, as the shape makes it easier to use magnetic fields to contain the plasma. Might be a bit too powerful for those LEDs though. :D

AdamW said:
Incidentally, a torus is the shape of a tokamak-type nuclear fusion reactor, as the shape makes it easier to use magnetic fields to contain the plasma. Might be a bit too powerful for those LEDs though. :D

I'd love to see the look on the local council planning officers face when he submitted the proposal to build it in his back yard too :D

Sponsored Links
Even better - wait until next year, and also submit it to Building Control as electrical installation work carried out by a non-competent person requiring them to inspect and test....

ban-all-sheds said:
Even better - wait until next year, and also submit it to Building Control as electrical installation work carried out by a non-competent person requiring them to inspect and test....

:D and listen to the debate in the council offices as to whether a Thermonuclear Powerstation is covered by Part P! :D

I wouldn't need the LEDs then, the reactor would emit a lovely green glow............now there's an idea!!!!!

doe's anyone know how to wire a tokamak-type nuclear fusion reactor in.

FWL_engineer, any suggestions :LOL:

Chicken said:

FWL_engineer, any suggestions :LOL:

Well funny you should ask...NO :LOL:

I would imagine carefully would be the obvious answer :LOL:

Chicken said:
Sheesh - you wire it up just like any other fusion reactor :!: :!:

If you don't know how to do it, then I suggest you call in a professional.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Finally, I've got the answer,

I've taken the transformer out of the plug and put it into a standard transformer box, then I can wire it into the lighting circuit as normal.

I got a reply from the makers, They said that they didn't do in-line transformers and that I could put a socket on the lighting circuit and protect it with a 3 amp fuse, then use a 2 gang switch, 1 side wired into the lighting circuit to control the main lights, and the other side wired into the ring main to control the LED lights.

They also said (quote) "It's not a bodge, it's a way round the problem!!"(unquote)

I'm glad I came on this forum cos everyone on here reckons thats a very bad idea (even though I thought about it originally)

Thanks for everyones help. Hope I didn't cause too many feuds from differing opinions from people :D :D :D

I got a reply from the makers, They said that they didn't do in-line transformers and that I could put a socket on the lighting circuit and protect it with a 3 amp fuse, then use a 2 gang switch, 1 side wired into the lighting circuit to control the main lights, and the other side wired into the ring main to control the LED lights.

This could cause confusion - two different circuits present in the same switch- and is considered bad practice.

The guy on the phone said he wasn't a sparky, just that thats what their installation people were doing.

I'm glad i'm doing it myself!

Chicken said:
The guy on the phone said he wasn't a sparky, just that thats what their installation people were doing.

I'm glad i'm doing it myself!

I phoned Micromark to complain about this advise, and actually got to speak to the Gentlemen you spoke to..he remembers the conversation a little different from you Chicken.

He said he DID NOT say what you said he did, and that he advised you that you, as an electronics engineer, could remove the Tx from it's casing, mount it is a new waterproof enclusure and wire it, inline, to the lighting circuit. He accepted that this would not be "offical" Micromark policy, but stated that YOU understood this and accepted that this would void your warranty.

Now I do not wish to get into an argument over this, but I do find it strange that your comments above match your original idea for solving your problem to a Tee, so I am questioning whether you have been straight about this.

When all is said an done, it is up to you to decide your course of action, however it is not just your life your playing with.

There is no point in you asking questions to get advise from people whom you then ignore.

FWL_Engineer,

He did say tat I could open the transformer, and site it in a box, that's what I'm doing, He also said that the installation guys have done it the other way as well, hence the quote "It's not a bodge, It's a way round the problem"

If I wasn't taking anyones advise, why am I not then doing it the way I originally thought of (the lets wire a socket into the lightin circuit way)?

If you bothered to read the post further up the page, you'd realise that I'd already decided on the correct cause of action.

I know your very passionate about correct electrical practices and I appreciate that and thank you for your help and advise you've given me, but try to be a little patient with us less experienced people.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back