Fence onto a low wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbours and I have a low wall between our driveways that offers no privacy and is fairly dangerous from the higher side. We'd like to add a fence to it, maybe around 5ft high. I'm not sure how best to go about it.

drive2.jpg drive1.jpg

At first I thought about removing sections of the coping stones and using bolt-down post supports attached to the wall but realised that was likely to simply lever a few bricks out of the wall. I then wondered about removing a pocket of 3 or 4 courses and creating a concrete pad where each post wsas needed. Would that be nearly as likely to fail?
Although it would be nice to have the posts on top of the wall, I realise that another option would be to fix posts onto the side of the wall (the near side in the photos as there's more height to work with) and notching a bit of the coping stones. My gut feeling is that that would be more durable if fixed (screwed?) near the top and the bottom of the wall - what do you think?
Any other ideas would be welcome, and/or tips on how to proceed if you think one of the above will work (eg fixings). Because the wall height changes and the degree of privacy wanted changes I think it's probably going to work best if I use rails and feather edge boards between the posts so I guess I'm looking at wooden posts.
Thanks, Phil

Sponsored Links
I would fit metpost sockets to your drive, posts as close as possible to the wall and add a panel.

Metapost bolt down socket on your side, notch the coping stone for posts and also bolt post to wall. Hit and miss panels full height on your side and cut on the other side to sit ontop of coving. Hit and miss are much better at dealing with high winds.

mind and keep it to 1m at the front face off the house[principle elevation]to avoid the need to get planning permission

Sponsored Links
If the wall is solid enough - Galvanised angle iron brackets specially made to bolt to one side of the wall and dog-legged to provide support for a fence rising from the centre of the wall. Coping stones can remain in place, if a notch were to be cut out for each bracket. As others have suggested - a hit and miss fence, to limit the wind load.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back