fence post spacings...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing the damaged panels in my back garden with closed board fencing ( assemble it yourself stuff slotted into the grooves on the concrete posts ) as and when they break.. ( won't be long, they're all pretty much had it.. )

one problem I've come across is that there is an apple tree on her side that is growing against one of the concrete posts and pushing it over..

since I'm replacing with closed board then there's the opportunity to move the concrete post either way and avoid the tree.

now, the problem is that I'm using a 3rd rail at the bottom of each "panel" I replace that is resting on the concrete gravel board.
If I move the post in one direction then the concrete gravel board is too long and needs cutting, if I move it the other then it's too short and won't sit in the groves of the posts.

do they make longer or shorter concrete gravel boards? how easy would it be to cut one? ( I can borrow a 9 inch grinder and disk if needs be.. )

then there's the future problem of what happens later if the next owner decides to put regular panels back in.. they'll either have to cut a panel or try and find a wider one ( by about a foot. )

Sponsored Links
I'm replacing the damaged panels in my back garden with closed board fencing ( assemble it yourself stuff slotted into the grooves on the concrete posts ) as and when they break.. ( won't be long, they're all pretty much had it.. )

one problem I've come across is that there is an apple tree on her side that is growing against one of the concrete posts and pushing it over..

since I'm replacing with closed board then there's the opportunity to move the concrete post either way and avoid the tree.

now, the problem is that I'm using a 3rd rail at the bottom of each "panel" I replace that is resting on the concrete gravel board.
If I move the post in one direction then the concrete gravel board is too long and needs cutting, if I move it the other then it's too short and won't sit in the groves of the posts.

do they make longer or shorter concrete gravel boards? how easy would it be to cut one? ( I can borrow a 9 inch grinder and disk if needs be.. )

then there's the future problem of what happens later if the next owner decides to put regular panels back in.. they'll either have to cut a panel or try and find a wider one ( by about a foot. )

If you are putting in closeboard then the next owner won't be replacing the fence for quite a few years yet. You can get concrete gravel board up to about 9 or 10 feet long. Cutting is no probs with a 9'er.

Whereabouts is the tree pushing through, high or low? I assume that this part of the tree on your side is either a major part of the tree or would leave it looking butchered if cut.

You could stop the fence short both sides and bridge the gap with some wire mesh, aviary mesh wouldn't look as bad a chicken wire and will stretch as the tree grows. If you need privacy through the gap then cover with some reed/brush/bamboo screening.

it's the actual trunk of the tree..
it's grown sort of curved at the bottom so although it was planted about 10 inches away from the fence, it now pushes against the post itself..
it's all on their side.. it's their tree, shaving an inch or 2 off the back of the trunk probably won't do the tree any good I'll bet? ;)

where can I get 1 foot high concrete gravel boards at 7 foot long then?
this would solve all sorts of problems for me( most notably reducing the 5 foot wide gate I have to try and hang off the side of the house.. ), I have 2400mm long arris rails because the 1800mm ones are about 30mm too short to fit between the posts

gravel boards normally come in 1.8 2.4 or 3.00m lengths. just cut one down with a disc cutter

Sponsored Links
great, now I need a new post as well.. while trying to dig it out i realised that it was a bit more flexible than I thought it should be..
on closer inspection there is a hairline crack right through it just above the point where the tree is pushing it..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back