fence problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my neighbours have built a patio which has pushed the bottom of my boundry fence out by 3 - 4 inches. I'm already fighting a planning application with them and have a site visit soon from the local planning committee. If they see that the boundary fence has been pushed out, will this help my case?

Sponsored Links
I can not see for the life of me what the work quality of a patio has to do with an unrelated planning aplication.

Seems to me as though you are clutching at straws.

It's nothing to do with the qualitiy of their work, it's to do with the fact they've built onto my property!. The gap is almost the whole length of the fence and the middle part of the kick board is bowing.

Ask the builder to remove the material that is forcing the timber board or insist that they fit some kind of retaining device, i.e. gravel boards, vertical slabs, masonry etc, to their side of the fence.

Why this should be ammo for a pp dispute still alludes me though? Are the two related, i.e. the pp thing and the fence.

Who owns the fence and is it built on the boundary?

Sponsored Links
The fence is mine, the question is, did their planning officer measure the boundary line from the fence or the part that has been forced over. She wanted to pass the first floor extension application and I said it is really close, although to her it is not. I have fought tooth and nail to fight this and even with the parish council objecting to it and my local district councillor objecting to it, and a objecting letter from an architect. She still wanted to pass it. Fortunatly for me a site visit has been advised. View media item 27269 View media item 27270 View media item 27268 . As you can see from the pictures, the extension will have an overbearing look onto my property and cut out a lot of view. The question is do you think it's not that close to my property and if you also found out that their patio was coming into your garden, would you feel a bit annoyed. :unsure:

You're fighting a losing battle. Even if you can prove the planning officer has measured the "wrong" boundary it'll make no difference. She's already said she wants to pass it. Best case scenario for you is the applicant is made to move it back 4". You're still not going to be happy are you?

Move on. It seems the deal is done and there's little you can do but waste your time and energy. As Nose says you're clutching at straws somewhat.

from what i can see the extension is as far from the fence as the house ??

why on earth would you think someone would get down on there hands and knees to measure under a fence is beyond me :D ;)
people simply measure from the fence or post if they think the fence is bowing

did you not contest the planning application when it first surfaced

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back