Fence rail rotten repairable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi noticed when fixing trellis to our fence that one part the top rail has started to rot.

Anyone know if its repairable ive some 2 part rinseal wood filler spare or would it be best to cut another piece? Trouble with that is I'd have to ask the neighbour as it would need nailing in there side.

Attachments

• IMG_20240304_140556.jpg
    IMG_20240304_140556.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20240304_140541.jpg
    IMG_20240304_140541.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
I would repair it with a new rail, may as well do it properly. If your neighbour is completely unreasonable with access, just put screws through from your side and stick a note through their door warning there could be a few sharp screw points sticking out on their side. Don't purposefully have the screws through too far, but its difficult to get it just right and if the boards are just 18mm thick, you need to be using as much of that 18mm as pos

I would repair it with a new rail, may as well do it properly. If your neighbour is completely unreasonable with access, just put screws through from your side and stick a note through their door warning there could be a few sharp screw points sticking out on their side. Don't purposefully have the screws through too far, but its difficult to get it just right and if the boards are just 18mm thick, you need to be using as much of that 18mm as pos
I don't think they'll mind I'd just rather do it without having to go round to there side, I can lean over if I take the trellis down as I can stand on a raised planter which is in that corner.

I'm just wondering how I can get the top rail out from my side without damaging the feather edging.

I think you will saw off the ends first. The nails may have rusted away, and will not be holding firmly in rotten wood, and the rest of the rail will come off in pieces, you can saw it into chunks if it helps

BTW I find decking boards very handy for this kind of garden work, they are pre-treated against rot

(Edited)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you want to avoid points, you could use galvanised nuts and bolts. This would also be easier than trying to lean over with a screwdriver. Put a washer on each side to prevent the heads sinking into the timber.

BTW I find decking boards very handy for this kind of garden work, they are pre-treated against rot
I was thinking of using a multi tool to get the rail off but I'm worried about splitting or damaging the feather edging.

Im having doubts about the neighbours as I dropped some of the trellis Capping over last week, went round to tell them and it's still sat there on the floor

If you can't get it all off, you could probably slide the new rail in like the trellis, and leave the old bits to rot away.

I see now that nuts and bolts would not be suitable as it is just featheredge you are fixing

If you can't get it all off, you could probably slide the new rail in like the trellis, and leave the old bits to rot away.

I see now that nuts and bolts would not be suitable as it is just featheredge you are fixing
Yes I did think about sliding a new piece in and nailing it, (bet I can't reuse the nails that are already in?)

I'm going to break as much of it as I can, I've been going at it with a screwdriver and it's almost rotten through.

My dad's got some spare arris rail but his is slanted newer fence maybe,i don't suppose that'll fit mine

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
To fix the new rail to the old post, I'd use coach screws and washers, quite big. You can drive them with a socket in a drill.

You only need a few so not expensive. M6X50 or longer. Drill clearance holes in your new rail, staggered.
Thank you, have I got old style fencing? Or is this just cheap new build fencing, as most now sell arris rails which are triangular shaped which seems better with water run off.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
the post looks pretty old to me. Arris rail needs a bit of carpentry to fit, a flat rail screwed to a post is so easy, even I can do it.

the post looks pretty old to me. Arris rail needs a bit of carpentry to fit, a flat rail screwed to a post is so easy, even I can do it.
The fence is 12 years old now no problems anywhere else,just that corner top rail maybe because it's under a salix tree which atm has been cut back, the middle and bottom rails are fine.

It was painted with cuprinol about 2 years ago but don't think that stuffs v good.

Hopefully sorted it. Got rid of all the rotten wood and used a piece which is slightly bigger but once painted should do the trick.

I didn't use coach bolts in the end I used 100 mm screws which I used for the planter I built,im going to use abit of wood filler in the holes.

Leaned over and used small screws to fix feather edging

Attachments

• IMG_20240305_140740.jpg
    IMG_20240305_140740.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 18

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back