Fenceposts to Wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm more of a Ralph than a Felix I'll admit but what I want to know is if I'm able to fix fenceposts to a breeze block wall?

I'll have a go at explaining the wall but I'm sure I'll be rubbish.

Bathroom extension ends, then there's a gap of a couple of feet. Then there's said wall, about 4 1/2 foot high. On the otherside of the wall is part of the garden, so it is all soil.

What we need to do is get a fence up because of the drop and having kids, so was wondering if I could fix fenceposts to said wall?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can
Use frame fixers.
They're like big screws with rawlplugs and you just drill through the wood and wall, insert the fixer and hit it with a hammer

Magic. Thank you so much. This is the wall in question. Desperately need too sort the garden out but I'd like to do as much myself to save on the costs. New house, new baby and just living in general!

Attachments

• 20190617_210554.jpg
    20190617_210554.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 103
have you tried digging down the back of the wall ? if you can get 12 to 18 inches down then drop a post in and back fill (I take it you only want a liitle fence 3ish feet high) ?
I wouldn't try knocking a post down the back with a sledge in case you bugger the wall.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
have you tried digging down the back of the wall ? if you can get 12 to 18 inches down then drop a post in and back fill (I take it you only want a liitle fence 3ish feet high) ?
I would try knocking a post down the back with a sledge in case you bugger the wall.

Not yet. Was probably looking at shortcuts a bit too enthusiastically. That's probably going to be a much better and safer way to do it. 12 would be minimum, 18 would be ideal. Will just have to wait for the weather to break and book a week off to have a good go at it I think.

Probably easier while the soil is still a bit wet - if the weather breaks and it dries out it'll be harder to dig a neat hole.

just another thought - if you can dig down the inside of the wall, after putting the post in drop a bit of broken slab or something alongside it - even a bit 8 inch square would be nigh on impossible to push flat-ways through the soil. (think about how the post would fail if pushed from the top towards the house)

hope my little sketch makes sense - lol
wallpostdiy.JPG

just another thought - if you can dig down the inside of the wall, after putting the post in drop a bit of broken slab or something alongside it - even a bit 8 inch square would be nigh on impossible to push flat-ways through the soil. (think about how the post would fail if pushed from the top towards the house)

hope my little sketch makes sense - lol
View attachment 166188

Cheers butt. Totally does make sense. Think what I'll do is concrete them in with the quick set bags? Would that be an ok alternative or add some slab for good measure?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back