fences gates planning

Asking the council will cost money, the days of dropping in for a chat are long gone. Certainly up here you can pay for pre-planning advice- which ideally is where you put your plans in front of a suit & they tell you how to amend them to increase the odds of you getting permission for them. Which seems like robbery but may be your only way forward- now your neighbours have dobbed you in you'll have to do something.

Sponsored Links
yes i remember an extension on an old house went down quick chat made some changes friendly helpful civilised .part of my job i do is sharing masses of information for free ..so this really kind of thing does not sit well with me ..especialy as it just a gate and fence not a 2 storey house etc

anyone know about planning ive submitted pics to council
see attached pics

Looks to me like it wouldn't get planning permission.

enforcement dept arent exactly helpful ,,giving me this answer so far ,,"I can say though, in it’s current form the gate and fence will be refused." advising me to pay fee to get information from planning dept

I'd say this is helpful to an extent. Giving you a free opinion of the likelyhood of it gaining planning approval in its current state and giving you advice as to where to get further information. It's you with the development that requires consent without permission afterall.

all around me there are fences gates way above 1m and certainly without PP

This is your best shot if that's the case. Is that black fence on the edge of one of the photos your fence too? or one that's a neighbours? Did that get PP? when did that get put up?

You can set it further back to where the highway isn't obstructed (at a vague guess 2metres) but I would talk with the enforcement officer if you choose to do this.

A few more photos of the street (with your fence in it) up and down may be useful - but I would imagine that there is very very few examples like yours (tall, relatively unattractive, right on the edge of the pavement, restricting views from vehicles pulling in and out etc. etc.) You really need to think about different ways of protecting yourself / your property (Good advice from Woody + Old in this thread) rather than this.

black fence is neighbours gate and got planning permission this is getting interesting just had obnoxious e mail from enforcement officer think i will be making complaint about him .....

Sponsored Links
black fence is neighbours gate and got planning permission this is getting interesting just had obnoxious e mail from enforcement officer think i will be making complaint about him .....
Oooh do share (remove names/addresses of course).
Those black gates do look more to scale and less intrusive than the big curved brown gate...

well he gave me some guidance link which stated to ring this number answerphone then gave me an e mail address so i e mailed them ,,,they then forwarded the e mail back to him ...can u imagine then this comes ===
Development Control & Development Management have forwarded me this.

Please let me make this absolutely clear…

The Council will not be providing advice or telephoning you back to discuss a potential application so you can “save a lot of time, hassle and money.”

You are instructed to submit an application for planning permission, of which will be refused for the reasons explained in detail in the numerous previous emails. Once the application is refused, you are to take onboard what advice the Planning Officer gives you; what you need to change in order for a resubmission to be successful.

If you do not comply then the Council will immediately serve notice upon you which will require you to remove said structures.

Yours Sincerely,

Planning Enforcement

to which i replied
i have record of all previous e mails and have been asking you many times for the reasons why gate and fence would not pass in its current state .
i cannot see you state any reasons from any emails for it not going through even though u keep saying it will not pass
i have asked you many times what are the reasons for it not going through
i am asking you for the last time to give me the reasons why it would not pass #
the last but one e mail from you brought guidance from you was to contact council which i did and their answerphone asked me to e mail them which i did.
i now find my email to them which is then forwarded to you - is this some kind of joke ?
i am also letting you know i am part of neighborhood watch scheme an ex special constable , attend council meeting s to do with crime and social behavior. correspond with my MP on a regular basis.
sincerely

In some places you can have a pre-planning discussion with the council to discuss options before applying for planning permission. Some places do informal chats and advice by email, but that seems to be dying out as they don't have time to do it.

Technically all they have to do is enforce planning permission rules, which you have broken by the looks of things (pedantic perhaps, but still broken) and review/process applications.

Getting arsey them is unlikely to help matters. In isolation that email looks arsey.

ah well this man has given me the runaround making false statements ,leading me down blind alleys attempting to wear down my will ,etc i want to be compliant asking for a bit of guidance initially,,, now asking a simple question like whats wrong with it so i can fix it ,, rocket science i know ---

As it's over 1m then it must have planning permission. That's fairly clear.

The question is now 'can I have planning permission?' to which the answer seems to be 'fill in the forms if you like but it's going to be no'.

My guess is that if you did want it to pass planning you'd need it to fit in more with the look of the area.

Your neighbors who does have PP is probably your best bet as a starting point. If they've got a hedge you can almost certainly do the same (even without planning permission, plant it at 1m which doesn't need PP then allow it to grow). The gate is going to be the sticking point, it's a bit of a monster. I'd bet on needing to either cut it down to a similar height to the neighbours or lose it entirely.

Finally it won't work to stop people mucking about on your drive or trying to break in. Motion activated flood lights and CCTV will probably do more and cost less than fighting the man. And it'd look nicer.

Last edited:
“save a lot of time, hassle and money.”

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/fences-gates-planning.544214/page-2#ixzz6LkuOMKlD is presumably a quote from your original message to the planning lot?
Your email does come across as 'what are you jobsworth tossers doing obstructing my right to do anything I want to my garden'- when receiving a message like that any admin type is going to look for reasons to refuse. The rest of his email is blunt but factual and not obnoxious- by the look of it in your area pre-planning no longer exists, the only mechanism for discussion with planners is via a formal planning application (which as you know has a fee attached)

Next time, your message might get better results with something like;
Dear Planning lot,

Thanks for your notice telling me I need planning permission for my fence, gates etc.- I was not aware of this requirement but would like to regularise the situation as soon as possible. I note from your previous correspondence that the fence as is would be 'unlikely to receive approval'- any clues as to how I could modify the scheme so it achieves its objectives (preventing another burglary) whilst complying with local guidance?

Regards,

diy joe

Oh yeah, the bottom of your email when you tell them how important you are- nobody cares. In this scenario you're at the moment in the wrong and it just makes you look a bit 'don't you know who I am?'. Again, any admin type will look really hard at your issue to find any reason to refuse because it'll cheer them up.

mmmn did all that at the beginning ,,telling them i want to be compliant etcetc ,,and no i am not telling them how important i am ,, letting him know that we have rights and will exercise them if theres any issues in process or admin or even attitude .ive just spoken with another planning bod 2 mins and he was fine helpful etc .

You will always start on the back foot with Planning if you have erected something that would require Planning approval.

You will also have a bigger hill to climb if you come across to be arguing and threatening them with who you are, people you know, etc...

The LPA would not normally get Enforcement Officers involved unless the non-complaint issues caused what they see as significant harm.

The bottom line is you will have to remove or modify the existing gates in accordance with the LPA’s policies and requirements. You can try and fight it and take it further by either appealing a refusal or appealing an Enforcement Notice. However and due to the current situation, there are some significant delays to the Appeal process.

The LPA would rather not take action against something like this, especially where current resources are already stretched.

Security issues aside those gates look fecking hideous, I don't blame the neighbours for dobbing you in or the council for taking enforcement action.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back