Fencing over manhole cover - solution required!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My boundary crosses a manhole cover which I don't want to block access to but I would like to replace the fence with something stronger and more private.

My original idea was to use concrete posts and concrete gravel boards as I want it to be as strong as possible and also want to prevent the bottom of the fence panel from rotting. I was thinking that the fence panel could slide out of the concrete post if and when access was required but obviously I wouldn't be able to use concrete gravel boards as these would not be easily removable! Any ideas on what would be the best solution?

I have attached a photograph to show the drain in relation to the current fence.

Many thanks for your time! :)

Sponsored Links
You could use concrete fence posts, spacing them to straddle the drain. You'd need to check the manhole to make sure that you don't stick a post into the drainage.
The average panel is 6 feet.

You can cut concrete fence posts and gravel boards with an angle grinder, you may need a stone and metal disc to get through the rebar.

You could put a post as close to the drain as possible, and cut a post down and drop it into a hole on the other side, sticking up 6"- rather a waste of a post. Then fit the next post 6 feet away from the full length post. Fill the gap with a cut down gravel board and drop in a panel. This would allow a shortened gravel board to be slipped in over the manhole and be removed

To be honest the easiest thing would be to use a 12" deep panel in that location and concrete it in, having shortened it so there is no gravel board in the manhole area.

For the gap, either leave it open for hedgehogs or place a couple of bricks/blocks there

Apologies for the delay in my response. Thank you so much for your detailed reply; I really do appreciate it. I think I'll ask the gardener to go with your easiest solution and then hide the gap with pots!

as an aside
why do you think its your fence ??
assuming you are the house on the lh side the fence seems mostly on the rhside by the brick spacing at the doors ??
i also assume this is back gardens not front ??

Sponsored Links
It isn't my fence. It is the neighbour's responsibility. However he is renting and the landlord has no desire to change it (however he is very happy for me to do so as long as I pay, of course). As I would like some privacy (and the rest of the garden needs fencing which is my responsibility) it's a cost I'm willing to pay.

Place 2 posts as close to the manhole as possible, then cut fence panel to fit.
Instead of concrete gravel board use wood and paint it grey.
Nobody will notice the difference and the manhole will be accessible

keep in mind rear fences restricted to 2m front fences 1m[or 4ft/1200mm if historic rights]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back