fencing rough guide price

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guy's

when pricing is there a rule of thumb for a ballpark figure

We need to replace 75 foot both sides + 2 gates and 25 across the back twice 3 ft apart (to create a secure R.O.W for the neighbours)

So that's 200 foot of 6 foot high fencing + 2 gates.

New concrete posts, new panels new gates, whatcha reckon?

Cheers

Richard

Sponsored Links
The fence is shown here on a good day. It has since suffered from 3 broken posts so is propped up in the middle.

However we are looking to move the fence to the edge of path and continue to the front of the house.

The land is stoney but I would assume for a job this big a mini digger would be necessary (esp as it will hopefully include some ground clearance for the new R.O.W)

The fence is shown here
no it isn't

btw I think you are very wise to go for concrete posts which will never rot. I'd say concrete gravel boards as well. They can be sunk slightly into the ground to keep out small animals if you want

For added beauty they can be treated with masonry paint in dark brown which will blend attractively with your fence stain

View media item 975

Sponsored Links
as i said

depends on lots of things, type of fence, what gates, hows the soil (for the posts) etc etc

View media item 6967

you are now adding more to what you asked in the first place

.......a mini digger would be necessary (esp as it will hopefully include some ground clearance for the new R.O.W)

no mention of mini digger and or ground clearance in the first post.

r.bartlett, please bear in mind its nothing personal, since i dont know you, its just you are ilustrating my point about why not to get a quote on a forum to a T

The fence is shown here
no it isn't

btw I think you are very wise to go for concrete posts which will never rot. I'd say concrete gravel boards as well. They can be sunk slightly into the ground to keep out small animals if you want

For added beauty they can be treated with masonry paint in dark brown which will blend attractively with your fence stain

View media item 975

Got the pic's up. due to the length and exposure we have suffered at least 6 posts snapping. these are top quality 4" posts too.

So concrete is the way to go I guess esp as I can't afford brick

Richard

as i said

depends on lots of things, type of fence, what gates, hows the soil (for the posts) etc etc

View media item 6967

I guess if you don't understand 'stoney' and can't tell what fence type that is from the pictures perhaps this isn't the thread for you?

I saw on an old thread fencer said around 60 per post -I am not looking for a fixed price merely a rough extimate. Im sure most work it out that way for a rough guide then add the extras on top..
If our customers ask for a ball park figure I give them the list price of the kit + 1k if interested we work it out properly

I'm not taking this personally as I know a quote is a precise thng. I just want a rough estimate for the fence I know how much skips and diggers are so I can factor that into my budget once I get a rough estimate of the fence.

Richard

i suggest you read my post again.

i did point out its nothing personal because i dont know you, its just, as i mentioned (but you have not read / chose to ignore) you have written an ideal example why not to ask for quotes on forums.

First you want a quote/ ball park figure, then you add you want to use the mini digger for ground clearance. the mini didgger was never mentioned in the first place.

stony ground is just tough (literaly) yes a mini digger MAY help, but to use it for something else which has not been allowed for time wise means it is not in the cost, so your "ball park figure" is now of no use because of your fault not to mention what else you wanted to do.

as for the bit "If our customers ask for a ball park figure I give them the list price of the kit + 1k if interested we work it out properly"

you forget you wrote "our customers" that is the way YOU and your company do it, it does not mean to say that is the way every one else does it.

But that statement form you is also another example of no quotes, you are assuming every one will quote the same way you do

I wouldnt

"Oh, mr baker how much is 2 cakes?"

"ingreadiants are 2 but add a fiver and we can talk about it if you really want two cakes"

Your way doesnt work in all scenarios does it.

i suggest you read my post again.

i did point out its nothing personal because i dont know you, its just, as i mentioned (but you have not read / chose to ignore) you have written an ideal example why not to ask for quotes on forums.

First you want a quote/ ball park figure, then you add you want to use the mini digger for ground clearance. the mini didgger was never mentioned in the first place.

stony ground is just tough (literaly) yes a mini digger MAY help, but to use it for something else which has not been allowed for time wise means it is not in the cost, so your "ball park figure" is now of no use because of your fault not to mention what else you wanted to do.

as for the bit "If our customers ask for a ball park figure I give them the list price of the kit + 1k if interested we work it out properly"

you forget you wrote "our customers" that is the way YOU and your company do it, it does not mean to say that is the way every one else does it.

But that statement form you is also another example of no quotes, you are assuming every one will quote the same way you do

I wouldnt

"Oh, mr baker how much is 2 cakes?"

"ingreadiants are 2 but add a fiver and we can talk about it if you really want two cakes"

Your way doesnt work in all scenarios does it.

You keep mixing quote with ballpark figure and trying to make that work work for you/everyone.

I also suspect if you were a baker I bet you could actually do an ingredients + and come out with a pretty good ballpark figure. That's called experience. an experienced baker has sufficient knowledge of his industry to be able to do this and I would expect an experienced person in any industry which mixes product , matls and labour to do the same.

I also didn't say 'cake' I said 'eccles cake' IE I did not say fence I said 6' fence, length and type of posts. Added information. Agreed I didn't say large Eccles cake or large Eccles cake with icing etc but I didn't need that level of detail. I also failed to mention I'm considering having it painted sky blue pink -sorry

In a similar way we calculate heatloads as a rough estimate at 100w/m sq. Time and time again this has proved to be within 5% of 'actual' as -worked out via a computer and/or spreadsheet- and thus as a rule of thumb it works (and if you read my original I only asked for a rule of thumb)

Also if a contractor came out to price and I asked
"What do you reckon we're talking about ballpark wise?"
I rather doubt his reply would be
"Oh I think we need to wait for the Timeteams' geo-fizz to come back before I can tell you that..."

Who knows??

New fence in with 9 posts and two gates (to be fitted Monday)

Labout and materials came to £1200.00

So with 9 posts my guess of £100 per post was out by 1/3rd as it was £133 but without the gates I would suggest it's reasonably accurate.

Ah, forgot my matls actually included an additional gate so it's £1100 or £122 per post;)

Cheers

Richard
View media item 10509View media item 10508View media item 10507

I've just been quoted for a new fence with 4 concreted posts and a new gate, including taking out the existing fence which is in bad shape and blown over in one part.

Came up to £590. The caveat is that this quote is for London.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back