Price to build garden brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Just wanted to get some opinions on what any tradesmen out there would charge (roughly) for such a brick wall. You see the one in the photo on the right hand side, needs to be built on the left hand side once the Laurel bush is removed, and I'm trying to give an estimate. I'll also be digging out and putting some footings in there, assuming they are 250mm deep and 525mm wide, running the length of the wall which is 6.9m long.
The wall is stepped but it's roughly 1m high i.e. 12 courses of flemish bond then one course of Brick On Edge.

Doing some rough calcs, I reckon on approx 900 common bricks (incl 10% wastage) for this one brick stepped wall. I'll also hire a mixer, need 2 bulk bags of ballast, 18 bags of cement, 1 bulk bag of builders sand.

I reckon this will come in at around £900, assuming the bricks are about 70p each. I can firm this figure up later.

I'm assuming it will take me 1 day to do the foundation, and 3 days to do the wall. I'm not a fast bricklayer obviously.

So what do you think for any overall ballpark price?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20160609_171237.jpg
    20160609_171237.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would be carefull. Most deeds state no structures over 3 foot high in front gardens.
I would also expect the council to take a very close interest in such a structure.

You are a bit lean on the cement and you haven't factored in a skip. I'd put the materials outlay at more like £1'200 including a skip. Are you hiring a digger?

Thanks. Point taken about the council, but the wall will be exactly the same as the existing one on the other side.

As far as hiring a digger, no I am not. The reason being that there is already two courses of a small brick wall behind the Laurel bush which have foundations which I shall simply widen to accomodate the new wider wall. So in reality, despite what I said above, the foundations should only be half of what I said. Plus access for a digger will be an issue unless I knock down her front wall. The soil here is very good quality and loamy, so it is easy to dig and I will take this soil myself and use it elsewhere. I dug a similar sized trench in my own garden just across the street, and it only took me a few hours. I won't need to dispose of the soil, so not sure I will need a skip in that case.

Sponsored Links
That's a lot of soil considering all the fertile stuff plus enough depth for the concrete to sit on good ground. Not all of the spoil will be good growing soil in terms of disposal. there will be other rubbish like polythene, brick bands, unused muck, unusable bricks, pallets, tonne sacks, mixer waste, duff labourers etc.

What do you need to charge to make a living? That's what you ought to be charging the client. If that's too much for them then tell them to find someone else. If you decide to come down on price then a) you will be working for next to nothing if your original price was a fair one or b) you over-priced it hoping they would pay anyway.

What I would guess you are asking is, what can you get away with charging.....?

Back