Fencing up to a tree?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am intending on replacing a rather battered fence at the front of the house. I have a huge tree (sycamore I think) that is smack bang in the middle of the old fence

I dont want to get rid if the tree, I like it :(

I have spoken to my neighbour and have suggested I run the front fence up to her gate. I am going to use conctrete posts and gravel boards with panels.

What is the best way of joing the 'T' shape part of fence where it meets in the middle? (green circle)

Also what about meeting with the tree, obviously I cant just nail the panel to a growing tree, so will a post be required either side of the tree?

20042008175.jpg

Sponsored Links
i am just wondering where the roots will be when you dig down

I have thought about that, was going to try and cut any away that might be in the hole :confused: if thats possible

Sponsored Links
mind you, you could alwys cut the tree down and make................fence posts :LOL:

How far away from the house is the tree? I can't see you getting any posts in right up to the tree, or even sensibly close.

How far away from the house is the tree? I can't see you getting any posts in right up to the tree, or even sensibly close.

About 15 foot away from the house. I was thinking maybe attaching the last panels to the tree itself, cight have to be the only option apart from cutting it down :(

Use 4" posts that are notched to receive 4x2 rails. Then get some 16ft lengths of treated 4x2 which will be supported along it's length by the posts, the last stretch will be floating in mid air up to the tree.

At the front, get a post in right up against the front fence. Then build a giant gallows bracket out of 4x2 and fix the fencing to that.

Use 4" posts that are notched to receive 4x2 rails. Then get some 16ft lengths of treated 4x2 which will be supported along it's length by the posts, the last stretch will be floating in mid air up to the tree.

At the front, get a post in right up against the front fence. Then build a giant gallows bracket out of 4x2 and fix the fencing to that.

Good advice, cheers for that. I'll post some pics up when I get it finished

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back