Fensa - cobblers..

R

ryoc

After 35 years of manufacturing traditional leaded light windows, we are now in the situation (like other small Companies) of stopping production and letting our staff go, due to lack of work. Due to current legislation regarding insulation, leaded lights are no longer specified by builders. It all has to be double glazed (low 'E', 'K' glass, argon gas filled etc. etc.).
We recently had a customers design leaded staircase window set fire damaged, he wanted the panels remade to match the originals (a good job for us). Because the frame was damaged and had to be replaced, he was told by Building Control that he had to have the replacement window double glazed, even though he wanted the original leaded panels reinstated.
Another small British manufacturing Company going to the wall. Time to move on, got that off my chest anyway..

Sponsored Links
I know it's real pain, I did one for my neighbour by putting the lead light window inside the double glazed unit.

outsource to China .......look for the Yuk Fu Learded Right co. on the banks of the yangtsee.............they use the water to stain the glass :eek:

I'm sorry to hear that ryoc.It seems to me in this country now that common sense has gone.We are left with government appointed officers
that have to go by the rules.Now your losing work,have to lay off workers.
Why can't there be some common sense used in your situation?

I read an article in a trade paper,It was about an electrician working on a new office complex.He was testing the lighting system on the top floor,450 feet up.No vehicles,the office was basically completed except for this test.
As he was doing his job,the health and safety officer come on site,you know the type,do what I say,rules are there to be obeyed no matter what.
This electrician was ordered off the site because he did not have a hard hat and no high visibility clothing.He is up 450 feet in an office that is completed.What chance is there of him being knocked down by a dumper track?

This country is getting more and more controlled by red tape official idiots.
I do hope things work out for you ryoc.

Sponsored Links
I love the 'three quarter length coat' brigade...who stand in a field in the middle of knowhere pointing at nothing...with the obligatory yellow hard hat.

Was there a significant risk of the sky caving in? :confused:

The law on PPE is clear..it must be worn where a risk has been indentified as part of a risk assessment.

You dont need safety googles to wall paper a room..you dont have to wear boots if your walking around someones carpeted lounge..you dont need ear defenders when erecting a tower scaffold..

its the lowest common denominator. Any risk can be assesed and precautions taken, ie no hard hat etc, but its the jobsworth, too frigthened of being sued brigade. We used to have a lot of involvement with the HSe in my old days of diving. they were as good as gold and common sense driven. its the idiots employed by large companies to oversee it that are frightened of putting a foot wrong or they mis-interpret the rules.

Zampa said:
I love the 'three quarter length coat' brigade...who stand in a field in the middle of knowhere pointing at nothing...with the obligatory yellow hard hat.

Stand on a site in yellow viz & hat loking up. See how many others will come and join you...

Zampa said:
The law on PPE is clear..it must be worn where a risk has been indentified as part of a risk assessment.

You dont need safety googles to wall paper a room..you dont have to wear boots if your walking around someones carpeted lounge..you dont need ear defenders when erecting a tower scaffold..

World gone mad

BoxBasher on another post said:
The company I work for has recently insisted we wear hi-visibility jackets at all times when on or alongside the highway - including when walking along a pavement.

Five weeks ago we were out operating valves when a girl in a car pulling out of her driveway was that intent in looking at what we were doing (probably drew to the yellow jackets) that she mucked up her pedals. She shot out of her drive on full lock, mounted the kerb and missed me by inches (after me diving to the side).

If somebody is that badly out of control of their vehicle to mount the pavement (be it through stupidity, impairment or mechanical mishap) what difference is a yellow waistcoat going to make?

What one person saw as a good idea for increasing safety has absolutely no bearing on the actual outcome of a situation.

ryoc said:
After 35 years of manufacturing traditional leaded light windows, we are now in the situation (like other small Companies) of stopping production and letting our staff go, due to lack of work. Due to current legislation regarding insulation, leaded lights are no longer specified by builders. It all has to be double glazed (low 'E', 'K' glass, argon gas filled etc. etc.).
We recently had a customers design leaded staircase window set fire damaged, he wanted the panels remade to match the originals (a good job for us). Because the frame was damaged and had to be replaced, he was told by Building Control that he had to have the replacement window double glazed, even though he wanted the original leaded panels reinstated.
Another small British manufacturing Company going to the wall. Time to move on, got that off my chest anyway..

I know how you feel.. though on a much smaller scale of course.. A wooden casement opener was rotten , told customer need new.. No I cant do it anymore unless you want to pay for building control approval (£75 approx ) otherwise fensa blokes... customer said i aint having them around for 1 window..screw it up and fix it :cry: Sooo .... a window that wont open, filled with car body filler... is the way to go...and that is acceptable... fkkkkkkk... Not like the old days when I could fone measurement thro and window fitted by me by the end of week... progress prescot style....

AND them fkn hes should stay in their fkn office and sort them selves out

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=440815&in_page_id=1770

:LOL: :LOL:
rant over ...

rommy said:
I read an article in a trade paper,It was about an electrician working on a new office complex.He was testing the lighting system on the top floor,450 feet up.No vehicles,the office was basically completed except for this test.
As he was doing his job,the health and safety officer come on site,you know the type,do what I say,rules are there to be obeyed no matter what.
This electrician was ordered off the site because he did not have a hard hat and no high visibility clothing.He is up 450 feet in an office that is completed.What chance is there of him being knocked down by a dumper track?

my response to those types is always the same....politely tell them to go away unless they have a very valid safety concern.

ive been pulled up for similarly stupid issues in my working life and i always tell them to write it down and report it if they like but ive assessed my risks and i believe im being as safe as reasonably practical.

if they dont go away i just carry on whilst completely ignoring their presence....that bit usually gets me in trouble as it messes with their pride.

saw the best one today.

A driving instructor with a flourescent vest on in the car. WTF! When i was in the plod we used to detest being made to wear those things, we used common sense. What is it now, is it a fashion statement or do people feel powerful when theyve got them on?

Thermo

you aint a copper any more you dont know the half of it ... lol

try googling plod/oldbill forum/chats

lol what a laff ....lol...but scarey how they are not protectors Now but civil servants......

Moz said:
Thermo

lol what a laff ....lol...but scarey how they are not protectors Now but civil servants......

I went on there once..I got a cyber hiding and they said I feel down the cyber stairs.. ;)

Moz said:
Thermo

no im not thank god. i still keep in touch with my old mates though. Amazing how many want to give up or go abroad as theyre banging their heads against brickwalls.

Sponsored Links
Back