fernco or new plastic soil pipe for new toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just after a bit of advice please.
Im planning on putting a toilet and small basin in the under-stairs cupboard.
The plumber ive asked to come round to quote doesn't seem keen so Im going to have a go myself. the house is 1930's semi - and I think the downpipe is pot. doesn't sound metallic when you tap it... As soon as the new toilet and basin are in - im pulling out the upstairs bathroom and replacing with new so I think ive 2 options.

1) Use fernco coupler with Y plastic connection for downstairs loo. the red on the picture shows where the plastic pipe will come out through the wall.
then when I put the new toilet in upstairs (staying in the same place) cut the existing angled pipe and use fernco coupler.. ive marked it blue on the picture where I would hope to cut it...

2) replace the entire soilstack... I think the main issues I would need to check the very old toilet upstairs takes modern plastic pipe waste sizes?
if it doesnt I would probably buy the new upstairs toilet and fit roughly in place - then take off wall again when I put flooring down and tile etc....

the existing pipe looks to be in ok condition.
thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
just checked the sound of the pipe again and I think it probably is cast iron...

Suspect you are correct in saying cast, last section through wall to pan upstairs will be lead though. Personally I'd replace the lot, cutting into the cast at low level leaves an awful lot of weight above that is relying a lot more on the wall fixings which are not always in the best of condition.... Cast is bl00dy heavy to take down, you don't want to risk any of it falling at some point in the future. Replacing in plastic is straightforward and would also allow you to get rid of the hopper, and connect wastes straight into the new stack.

A suitable pan connector will soon join existing pan to new plastic pipe, just bear in mind a new pan will likely have a slightly different outlet position to the existing.

thanks for the reply.
so if I rip out completely do I cut the cast pipe cleanly as low to ground level as possible, and then use a cast to plastic fitting, or do I cut out through the concrete to find the clay drain connector below?
ive seen these mcalpine adapters that look nice and neat that Im hoping to use if I cut the pipe above the ground....

http://www.mcalpineplumbing.com/waste-pipe-fittings/drain-connectors/drain-connector-black.html

ive been looking for an excuse to buy a recip saw - from what I gather these with a diamond blade are best for cast iron pipe? stuck a magnet on it ysterday and it stuck so its definately cast then

Sponsored Links
Leave at least 8"-10" of cast sticking out of the floor and use a cast/plastic fitting.

Use an angle grinder to cut the cast up.

And most important: start from the top and take/cut small sections at a time.

Andy

just checked the fall ratio and looks like I need to cut the cast iron pipe about 2 inches above the concrete drive- any problems with this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back