Fertilise same day as sowing seed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, I'm a roofer not a gardener so this question may be a bit dumb.

I've got an established lawn, 2 years old that I turfed myself, it's a bit thin in parts and looks like it could do with some new seed. I was going to just over seed it in April but someone told me that I need to fertilise the existing lawn first.

My question is, do I scatter all the fertiliser stuff at the same time as sowing the seed or do I have to do it before so it soaks in. Shall I rake the grass first before fertilising it? There is no moss anywhere.

Since last week The existing lawn has started growing now so what do I do about mowing? Will the mower kill or suck up the seeds? How long do I have to leave it before mowing?

Thanks very much. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
there are organic feeds you can get which you can use at the same time as sowing. not sure about non-organic, though I think with those you apply before sowing (for new lawns anyway).

when looking up some of this last night in preparation for overseeding my own lawn, I read that you should sow the new seed just before mowing, and mow with the collection box off that one time. (I wish I'd known that before I cut the grass!!)

Sponsored Links
In terms of fertiliser. If you want to fertilise then conventionally you do this after the the seed has germinated and the grass has started to tiller.

Fertilizing seed achieves nothing and fertiliser applied too early just gets leached away by the rains.

If you do fertilize before the seed has germinated then the previously established grasses in your lawn will be given a 'boost' and out-compete the germinating grass, which is not really what you want.[/u]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back