Few questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm doing some renovation on the house.

1) The fusebox is a steel MEM item with pull off cartridges with wire fuses. How old would you estimate this is?

If an electrician was asked to replace this with a modern fusebox/ consumer unit, would they do this with the existing wiring if it tested out ok? I estimate the house was rewired in about 1983 when an extension was put on.

2) A predecessor has fitted two funky spotlights in some overhead boxing in and has wired from the ring-main under the floor using a junction box to tap into the ring-main with a cable going to another junction box which has a switch wire cable going to a wall switch and the switched live terminal and negative terminal wired to the spots.

Is this very bad to leave as it is? Could I fit/ get fitted a FCU on the wall taken from the ring-main junction box with the lights junction box wired to the FCU?

3) Is it acceptable for a DIYer to replace the existing socket + switch frontplates in a kitchen?

Thanks in advance

John

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'm doing some renovation on the house.

1) The fusebox is a steel MEM item with pull off cartridges with wire fuses. How old would you estimate this is?

without seeing a picture, could be 1920s or 1980s

If an electrician was asked to replace this with a modern fusebox/ consumer unit, would they do this with the existing wiring if it tested out ok? I estimate the house was rewired in about 1983 when an extension was put on.

Yes.

2) A predecessor has fitted two funky spotlights in some overhead boxing in and has wired from the ring-main under the floor using a junction box to tap into the ring-main with a cable going to another junction box which has a switch wire cable going to a wall switch and the switched live terminal and negative terminal wired to the spots.

Is this very bad to leave as it is?

Fairly bad, yes.

Could I fit/ get fitted a FCU on the wall taken from the ring-main junction box with the lights junction box wired to the FCU?

Depends on the cable used from the ring to the junction box. If it's smaller than 2.5mm then you'll need to take the FCU back to the ring and wire between the FCU and the ring in 2.5mm.

3) Is it acceptable for a DIYer to replace the existing socket + switch frontplates in a kitchen?

Yes. That work is not notifiable. However you should carry out basic tests for polarity, insulation, and earth continuity, after changing the accessories.

Thanks OwainDIYer for your very quick response.

Very please to hear about the kitchen frontplates and the consumer unit which i'm considering getting changed.

I guess the fusebox could be early 80's then done with the wiring then.

How bad is "fairly bad"? cable is 2.5 to the 2nd junction box and then 1mm to the switch and 2 spots (2x 50w).

John

It would be code two on a periodic:

And the scale is:

Code 1 Requires urgent attention
Code 2 Requires improvement
Code 3 Requires further investigation
Code 4 Does not comply with BS 7671 but not unsafe

You can't class an installation as satsifactory with any code one or two defects.

Live cables sticking out the wall would be code one, while missing earth sleaving would be a four.

How this helps with a sense of scale

Need a picture of the fuseboard to judge age, but it sounds older then 1980's to be honest.. does it look like any of these? //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=89240

As far as I know, MEM had moved onto these by the 80's //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=196529

(need to be logged in to see the pictures)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Adam.

The inside of the mem fusebox i have is pretty similar looking to this:

mem_1977-consumer-unit_t2.jpg

which i'm guessing means it's late 70's- very early eighties??

Going to sort an FCU on those lights.

Are underfloor junction boxes on the ring-main a complete no-no now or is it acceptable to leave the one spurring off the ring-main in?

Thanks,

John

With regards to the MEM fuseboxes be very careful. I know the type similar to that, but maybe slightly older contains asbestos - that one may well too

With regards to the MEM fuseboxes be very careful. I know the type similar to that, but maybe slightly older contains asbestos - that one may well too

Where might that be? In the cartridges where the fuse wire is?

Seriously considering getting the unit changed. What is a very rough ballpark figure for an electrician to supply and fit a new consumer unit?

John

usually inside the fuse holder, behind the fusewire. I'm not familiar with your exact unit so can't be sure.

Price can vary, for a reputable electrician to do the job you are usually looking at around £450, but depends on what other work is required to bring the install up to scratch.

Where in london are you?

Thanks Chris.

I'm going to get this priced/ changed in January.

I'm actually in Watford Herts, I whacked in London on the rushed registration.

John

I thought January was when you wanted to be working on new builds, or laying cables in trenches, putting up external security floodlights, that sort of thing?

the fusebox in the photo has two installation defects:

1. No grommet on left tail knockout

2. No slotting between the tail holes / tails run through separate holes - eddy currents.

3. White plug missing from 3036 fuse carrier, exposing live screwhead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back