Fibre cement slates - sizes confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, newbie here. About to try my hand at some roofing on a new shed. Wanting it to look good and last forever, I have gone for 600x300 fibre cement slates.

Perhaps I am going mad, but I cannot for the life of me find a supplier of Slate-and-a-half slates to use on the verges. They all seem to come in only 600x300 or 600x600 - so are you expected to just cut the 600x600 ones to make the size needed (450x300)??

My issue with that is making the edge neat enough to be on show, unlike cutting the top of a tile, which is hidden.

Pretty much the only question I cannot find the answer to anywhere.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes that's exactly what you do (except they'll be 450 x 600 except at the eaves & gutter). You can use a grinder with diamond disc to cut complex shapes in the things but for straight cuts use one of these https://www.toolstation.com/tct-scriber-glass-cutter/p46004?searchstr=scribe and a straight edge then snap as if you were doing plasterboard (its a good idea to have a bit of 4 x 2 or similar clamped on the top of the bit of slate you're keeping- this reduces massively the number of failed snaps). Make your cuts so the cut edge butts up to another slate rather than fresh air. You'll have to measure and drill some holes in the slate and a halves for the copper washers- I've got a product manual from Marley somewhere, if you can't find it I'll stick it up here.

Great, many thanks for your reply.

Of course, the size needed is 450x600 - my mistake.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
or .....stanley knife and straight edge, when the blade gets blunt snap the tip off and carry on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back