fiddly wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, looking for advice re. connecting two cables together which is something I've done on countless occasions over the years, but this task is different.

I'm trying to replace the (aftermarket) reversing camera fitted to our 5 series by a previous owner. I've purchased a replacement unit but the connections don't match those already in place & this is going to mean splicing 2 cables together, each one consisting of 5 fine wires. Because this 'micro surgery' is new to me I have neither a suitable stripping tool or connectors to do the job … soldering might be the answer, but as the existing cable cannot be removed from the car I would have to carry out the work in-situ & I'm no expert with a soldering iron anyway :notworthy:

The individual wires look too fine for even a standard 5amp bullet (or similar) connector, so can anyone suggest an alterative ?

Many thanks for viewing.

Sponsored Links
To make a decent and reliable job I think I ‘d need to become proficient with a soldering iron and shrink wrap tube......scotchlok connectors could work but they are very bulky!
A sharp knife is fine for cutting the insulation off.
John :)

Sometimes I just use the heat of the soldering iron to melt back the insulation on fine wires.
Could you solder a length of heavier wire to each end of the fine wire to extend it?

Sponsored Links
Soldering is really a piece of pi##, have a look at some you tube tutorials.
It’s the best way to be honest, I find twisting the wires together first easiest before soldering on fiddly jobs.

I used heat shrink on some fine cable , just twisted the wires together then shrank cover , one at a time, then taped all heat shrink wires together to prevent any tension .

I appreciate all your replies folks.
I've ordered a new soldering iron & will get some practice in, it's been a while ...

To make a decent and reliable job I think I ‘d need to become proficient with a soldering iron and shrink wrap tube......scotchlok connectors could work but they are very bulky!
A sharp knife is fine for cutting the insulation off.

Thank you John, I've ordered a 60w soldering iron as my old one never seemed to work efficiently, would this be hot enough to shrink the tube?
I'm not sure of the (unshrunk) size I will need, so I was going to order a selection pack.

For wiring like that, my 10W Antex iron is just fine.
I push the heat shrink on, do the soldering then move the heat shrink back over the join. Then its on with the hot air gun to shrink everything down.
Good luck with it.....car wiring is usually good quality unless water has got in somehow, and it turns the copper strands black. The deposit is removable by scraping with a blade but its a bit of a faff.

For wiring like that, my 10W Antex iron is just fine.
I push the heat shrink on, do the soldering then move the heat shrink back over the join. Then its on with the hot air gun to shrink everything down.
Good luck with it.....car wiring is usually good quality unless water has got in somehow, and it turns the copper strands black. The deposit is removable by scraping with a blade but its a bit of a faff. John :)

So glad you came back on this, there was me thinking that the shrink was heated with an iron !
That's way I asked the questions, I'd heard of the shrink but never seen it put to use. As luck would have it I have a hot-air gun already.
I'll order the shrink, then all I need to do is select a pair of specs that will allow me to see what I'm doing :whistle:

Thanks again John.

You’re most welcome! Old timers like me will prefer the traditional 60/40% tin lead alloy with ersin multicore flux......so good it almost solders itself but of course lead is frowned upon now.
This stuff also tended to erode the soldering iron bits too.
Anyway, I slip the heat shrink over one wire then strip around 10mm of insulation away, then twiddle the wire strands tightly together. I then do the same with the two wire ends and then solder, finally slipping the heat shrink into place before air heating that.
Be amazed at how professional the job can be!
One thing, the heat shrink only works as tubing....if you try to wrap it around a join it just doesn’t perform.
Be lucky

I do like a bit of soldering myself and soldered all the time in my youth, fixing cars and various odd project on the go, I rarely get the chance now, there's something quite satisfying about soldering, it's a bit like riding a bike you never seem to forget. Unlike welding - something I had a few goes at but never had the opportunity to do much of so never got any good.

You’re most welcome! Old timers like me will prefer the traditional 60/40% tin lead alloy with ersin multicore flux......so good it almost solders itself but of course lead is frowned upon now.
This stuff also tended to erode the soldering iron bits too.
Anyway, I slip the heat shrink over one wire then strip around 10mm of insulation away, then twiddle the wire strands tightly together. I then do the same with the two wire ends and then solder, finally slipping the heat shrink into place before air heating that.
Be amazed at how professional the job can be!
One thing, the heat shrink only works as tubing....if you try to wrap it around a join it just doesn’t perform.
Be lucky John :)

Thanks again John, from your description of the solder it sounds like that's what I might have. The coil is wound around a wooden spool & belonged to my late father … I remember seeing it in his workshop decades ago.

I do like a bit of soldering myself and soldered all the time in my youth, fixing cars and various odd project on the go, I rarely get the chance now, there's something quite satisfying about soldering, it's a bit like riding a bike you never seem to forget. Unlike welding - something I had a few goes at but never had the opportunity to do much of so never got any good.

Never welded myself, should have leaned years ago considering the number of old cars I've owned !

Sponsored Links
Back