Wiring for outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to replace an old external light. The cable comes into the light, and then out again to a switch

Having taken the cover off, I can see:
* two red wires, just glued together and not connected to the light itself
* Two black wires, each going into a connector on the blub socket
* Two Earth wires, twisted around a screw.

The new light has standard connectors for live, neutral and earth. Please can someone advise on how to connect these?

Attachments

• IMG_20160409_135805647.jpg
    IMG_20160409_135805647.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20160409_140532256_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160409_140532256_HDR.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 207
Sponsored Links
The wiring in your photo looks rather heat damaged, the insulation may crumble away from the wires when they are disturbed, if it does, the cables will need to be cut back to cable that is in good condition or replaced.

It does look like heat resistant sleeving has been used, so hopefully the cables are ok.

The connector block would have been better off being a ceramic one, perhaps even if the plastic block had been wrapped with electrical tape...

Sponsored Links
The connector block would have been better off being a ceramic one, perhaps even if the plastic block had been wrapped with electrical tape...
Or perhaps even if whoever had had the only-need-an-IQ-bigger-than-their-shoe-size thought to not have the connector close to an incandescent lamp.

I have to say I don't think I've ever installed outside light wiring so that a perm live was at the light fitting. I've always done it so there was never a need for an additional connector block.

Always would use a junction box (I know) then latterly loop neutrals at switch.

So there you go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back