filled cavity access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, does anyone know how I can thread a cable up the cavity into the loft after being filled with small beads/resin ?? There must be some way but what??

kevin thanks

Sponsored Links
If you run it in the cavity, will it have the necessary support?

If you run it in the cavity will it be in a safe zone?

If you run it in the cavity does it have RCD protection?

If you run it through thermal insulation have you allowed for the de-rating factor in your design calculations?

If you run it through thermal insulation have you checked that the type of insulation will not damage the cable?

My sisters old house had the cavity filled with the little balls and it seems they should have been used as it was being built and a glue added but in fact were added after.

Again it seems once these are used then cable should not go through the cavity but at the time the electrician was clearly not told what would be done and the consumer unit was fitted in the garage with all cables going through the cavity to the void between ceiling and floor boards.

Then I came to fit a new consumer unit. It was a nightmare little balls cascading out of the hole in the wall used aerosol foam to stop them making two small holes above consumer unit and waiting until dry before carrying on.

Clearly the cables should have not been in the void when filled with insulation and this is also a problem when cavity wall insulation is added post build. My house I was very careful that the installation was not used around where the meter and consumer unit are located.

Today cables are simply not routed through the cavity. Today we often find battens and plaster board are used rather than plastering direct onto the wall and that space is used to thread the cables.

So not there is not a way and we simply don't.

Hi, does anyone know how I can thread a cable up the cavity into the loft after being filled with small beads/resin ?? There must be some way but what??

kevin thanks

Yes, there is a (very easy in fact) way to do this.

But do I reveal it? Shouldn't put cables in brick cavities...

You'll have to persuade me.

Sponsored Links
The small beads are normally polystyrene which will attack the PVC cable and ultimately the cable will fail. Not to mention the risk of bridging the damp proofing and all the other points raised.

Basically there is no way you can do this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back