Filler for knot holes in shed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks, I’ve had two new sheds fitted and there are a couple of holes where knots were. What should I use to fill them with?
Also what is best to use to paint the inside of the shed walls and floor before I fill them up with junk?

Sponsored Links
Wood filler or caulk if not too big?
Paint the inside of the shed with the same as the stuff you use on the outside. Any wood treatment will do.

Wood filler or caulk if not too big?
Size does indeed matter :)

Wood filler or caulk tends to crack/fall out if the knot hole is too big.

A decent silicon sealant that is smoothed out tends to flex with the weather better.
Still got some going strong after more than10 years on a SSW facing side which gets the worst of the weather/warm sun.

The prob with silicone sealant is that it's difficult to paint over in my experience and am not sure if the wood treatment would colour it for long, so no blending in?

Sponsored Links
Actually used some paintable sealant to seal the gaps around some windows on a shed and painted over with Cuprinol shed paint , but I must be honest it did not adhere very well in some places.

Personally I'd try to fill the hole with a bit of wooden off cut and stick if with PVA, fill the gaps around it with no nonsense filler, sand down and then apply whatever wood treatment on top.

The prob with silicone sealant is that it's difficult to paint over in my experience and am not sure if the wood treatment would colour it for long, so no blending in?
Not sure that would be much of a problem since it's only a couple of knot holes...

I certainly don't often look closely at the outside of my shed!

But it is weathertight.

Not sure that would be much of a problem since it's only a couple of knot holes...

I certainly don't often look closely at the outside of my shed!

But it is weathertight.
Depends on how much of a perfectionist a person is, hey.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back