Filling gap above door lining on block wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am fitting some door linings into openings that used to have external doors in them, and are about 100mm too tall.

What's the best way to fill the gaps, and avoid cracking? I was thinking of fixing a piece of timber in to the lintel (Avoiding the lining), and plaster boarding or cement boarding it, and having the plasterers go over it?

Any advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
OP,
External doors are typically fitted in frames - internal doors are usually fitted in linings.
Have you taken it into account that frames are wider than linings?
Why not post a pic?

A big piece of timber may expand/contract. I would put a frame in the gap and plasterboard it before plastering.

Sponsored Links
I would put a frame in the gap and plasterboard it before plastering.
That's what the OP said he was going to do.

I was thinking of fixing a piece of timber in to the lintel (Avoiding the lining), and plaster boarding or cement boarding it, and having the plasterers go over it?
Sounds ok. Even better if you had loads of tolerance and could lip the (9.5mm?) plasterboard onto the masonry rather than but up to it.

Sounds ok. Even better if you had loads of tolerance and could lip the (9.5mm?) plasterboard onto the masonry rather than but up to it.

I do have loads, the wall is going to need a coat of hardwall, so lipping some 9.5mm plasterboard onto the wall all around, with some Sticks Like behind, would be easy.

Thanks for that…. I’d not even considered it and it should be great for preventing cracking!

I did this today. 4 plasterboard screws from the board into the timber, and a generous helping of Sticks Like where it was covering the pebbledashed masonary. Seems nice and solid, so hopefully it doesn't crack :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back