Filling gap around a plug socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is not the correct forum, please feel free to move it to plastering (I wasn't sure which).

I had a plasterer do some work for me and due to walls being out he decided to 'dot and dab' then skim. This was fine but due to the increased depth from the plasterboard around my lighting switch he cut the whole for the plasterboard to big. He then managed to plaster over my light switch and it looked terrible.

The wife has been giving me aggravation over it so today I finally decided to try and put it right. I managed to get the front to the socket off which cracked the plaster.

Now I need to put it right.

My intention was to pack out the rear of the socket and plaster around the edges then put the socket back together. However the gap is to big and deep to simply plaster. Now I can't think what to do...

Below are some images. Any help appreciated :D

Mqch8u.jpg

rcGzbf.jpg

Vgnlit.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Isolate the circuit and do a better job of insulating the cable cores.

The box is set back too far in the wall and that needs to be sorted. I'd remove the back box, fit a suitable lump of timber behind and fix that via plug and screw.

Then feed the cable back in to the box, making sure a grommet is used on the sharp hole entry, and making sure the sheaths of the cable are inside the box.

Use a level and make sure the box is straight, and fix in to the wood.

Then us ea suitable deep filler or some bonding and fill around the box. I'd suggest a bit of over fill and then sand back with paper and block to marry the fill to the true wall edge.

That box looks 35 mm deep.

They do one at 47 mm deep, perhaps that will help.

As said, remember to use a rubber grommet, looks like one is already present.

My biggest concern here is the use of single insulated wires being behind and emerging from that metal capping buried in the wall.

Metal capping is never earthed, so having single insulated cables within it is DANGEROUS.

That metal capping, and any wet plaster, could easily become LIVE. :eek:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back