Filling in a door for a window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In our bedroom it seems someone has removed a patio door and replaced it with a window.

From the images, can you tell if this has been done correctly?

I was under the impression you were supposed to "tie in" the bricks into the existing wall?

Further more, the inside lintel is approx 60mm lower than the outside lintel. Any reason why this would be the case?

Regards,

Ben

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It's not correctly plastered and they have not finished the floor.

Other than that, I dunno.

Sponsored Links
We're replacing that window (and others in the room).

There is an issue where by the lintels at the top are not level. Meaning the top of the window frame was covered with plasterboard & plaster (the plaster was level with the glass, you couldn't see the top frame). We think the window was sized wrong or, like the rest of the house, botched.

The external wall seems fine, just evidence the render has been replaced at some point.

Where the patio door has been blocked up, the bricks stand about 10mm further out than the rest of the wall. Even with the previously very thin layer of plaster, it still ran out of true.

I'm asking, because if it's done incorrectly (which I think it may well be), I'm going to have to put it right.

If there were no problems with that wall below the window before, then there is no need to do anything with it now

Whilst it's good practice to tie the brick or blocks in, as there's no real load above it, it's not desperate to do that. As long as everything's been cemented in adequately, then it should be okay. The internal and external lintels should be level, and it looks as though they've put the internal one in without checking the height of the window, and then had to put in the window from the outside. It definitely sounds like crappy brickwork if they stand proud from the original wall. They should of have anticipated bonding/cement and plaster thickness when setting the bricks in place.

The internal lintel needs redoing, and it's down to you whether the wall can just be plastered to take out the wobble, or whether you need to take the bricks out, and set them back in the correct place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back