Filling Loop Major Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I returned from abroad after 6 months, and found the boiler pressure was low, so I used the filling loop (near the boiler) to increase the pressure. I used to have to do this every couple of months, as we must have a minor leak somewhere.

When I opened the filling loop valve it started spurting out water everywhere in small thin shoots, as if it had been pierced with a pin several times.

Could it be the wing nuts that need tightening? I don't want to try anything before asking someone who knows.

Anyone any idea why? Should I replace the filling loop? & how do I go about it?

Any help appreciated please, in simple language, for simple guy!

I've uploaded pictures of the filling loop in case they're of any help.

Sponsored Links
If its the braided silver loop split, I would think another from Screwfix or similar will replace it. Simply unscrew either end from the valves, (make sure they're both off!), discard and fit new. It should be disconnected when not required anyway, but few bother!

Sponsored Links
It looks like it's leaking from the valve that I open and close.

Also, from last night, the pressure has gone up from 1.5 to 2bar, although the valve is closed.

turn main stopcock off and replace its knackered easy job if your doin it yourself will cast you £1.50 if you get a plumber call out charge only £30.00 max get it done asap as you dont want your prv goin all the time

OK thanks. Will buy one on Monday from local suppliers and give it a shot. Do I need any tools?

Sorry for stupid question, but once I start, I don't want to find I can't finish the job, and have no heating in the current weather.

2 sets of adjustables or pump pliers or footprints or : you get my drift wont affect your heatin or water even if you cant do it as it is used only to fill system ;)

Should be a WRAS approved one with a double check valve. Also since you will be using the old nut and olive if you are having trouble resealing wont hurt to wrap a few turns of PTFE tape round the olive only.

be aware that the current one does not comply with the regs.
as said you need to purchase one that has 2 on /off taps as well as a double check valve

make sure you have turned the boiler and the mains water off before you start.

be aware also that the double check valve currently fitted (left hand side in your picture) will be under the same pressure as your heating circuit when you undo it, so have a bucket underneath and loosen it slowly (the central heating pressure will reduce to nil as you do it) this is ok.
change it all over putting a couple of turn of PTFE tape round the olives on the two pipes at bottom of the filling loop (under the bottom 2 nuts which you will reuse)
i always use Gas PTFE tape rather than the water one its thicker and easier to use (plus 2 full turns is enough.)

It may not be necessary to replace the double check valve anyway :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back