Filling old plug socket space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you go about filling an old plug socket hole and chase? It was a double socket cut into brick work and plaster board.

Pic to follow:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Sponsored Links
ae235

Fill in as much of the space as you can by using a piece of brick, thermalite or whatever - then go over the top with some ready mix plaster or similar.
Huge dollops of plaster / filler will sag, and you'll need more than one application.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I've heard that I should use bonding coat to fill it too? Is it a case of just whacking anything in there an then replastering?

No need mate - just dampen the hole (with some PVA solution if you want) and get cracking.
For the chase, you may need a couple of coats of the ready mix plaster though - don't try to do it all at once.

Fill in as much of the space as you can by using a piece of brick, thermalite or whatever - then go over the top with some ready mix plaster or similar.
Huge dollops of plaster / filler will sag, and you'll need more than one application.
what this man says, best option

Thanks for the input everyone. I've it some spare bricks outside so ill chop one up and put it in the hole then go at it with ready mix.

I've used one coat plaster on jobs like this - spray the wall first, make the plaster a bit stiff, stop a couple of mm shy of the surface. Finish off with a skim coat of finishing plaster.

Of course, several thin coats of the ready mixed filler would do the same job. It would take longer but you only have to buy one tub. Now, if you've already got the plaster...

My house was fully dotted dabed by the previous so when I have jobs like that it involves drywall adheasive and offcuts of pb.

Daniel

I've used one coat plaster on jobs like this - spray the wall first, make the plaster a bit stiff, stop a couple of mm shy of the surface. Finish off with a skim coat of finishing plaster.

Of course, several thin coats of the ready mixed filler would do the same job. It would take longer but you only have to buy one tub. Now, if you've already got the plaster...

Spray? With pva?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back