Filling/removing air vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm redecorating my 1930's house and one of the bedrooms has an air vent about the size of a brick with a wooden hatch over it. There's one in the kitchen as well. Can I just fill the bedroom one and plaster over it or do I need to keep it?

No idea why it's there, the bedroom in question is above the kitchen... Also do I need to attach a fan to the one in the kitchen as per the bathroom?

cheers
Eggers

Edit to say: DOH... Topic already covered

Sponsored Links
is there a chimney above this? as it sounds like an air vent for a disused fireplace
if it is you will get damp problems if you block it or remove it

I think the house originally had gas fires in the room. These have since been disconnected and removed. This room has no chimney in it, it's a semi and all the vents are on the wall opposite the party wall.

Edit: to clarify that this room might not have had a gas fire in, the only reason I said this is because there appears to be a capped gas pipe coming out of the skirting board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back