filpping BEDROOM FITTER wot a numpty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys
i was doing a first fix alarm in a new complete house, when i was working around a bedroom cupbaord fitter!
i noticed that all the bedrooms had wall/uplighters in them, and the new cupboards where covering 2 of them, i noticed that they had been remove as they where on the floor!!!!
5pm came and the said chap finished for the day, when i went up stairs to run cables, i switched the lights on in the bedroom where he was working and notice a 2 x 3 core flex's hanging at eye level off the top of the unit's!!! i thought it most be dead....... as theres no choc blog or insulation tape just a visable 3 core end!
got me volt stick out and yes it was live :evil:
i have photos, what do you think i should do now?
i made the owner aware...

Sponsored Links
'lectrics int his problem mate! He aint allowed to fix things on wires (like terminal blocks :rolleyes: ;) )

im well aware of this! this is y part P came in!

as its a big well established local company, what do you think i should do?

cheers

clearly this bedroom fitter is NOT part p, he removed wall lights the connected a flex to the existing cables ( connections are unable to be veiwed unfortunatly )
the flex was left live all 3 ends touchable! :evil:
the heating was on fall and i was sweating big time, its not worth thinking of wot would of happened if the live end touched my head!!!!!!!
how do i report this muppet/company... :?:

Sponsored Links
alphaalarms said:
this is y part P came in!

No, it's not.

Part P is simply the long overdue inclusion of electrical installations in the controlled activities covered by the Building Regulations.

No amount of legislation will mitigate against simple incompetence - it's a standard feature of most humans.

I suppose it could be reported to the HSE as a dangerous occurence as the person was doing the work as an employee, I suppose it also falls under the umbrella of the electricity at work regs too. As far as part P is concerned, although the work is non-notifiable, it still must comply with P1 i.e. "Reasonable provision shall be made in the design, installation, inspection and testing of electrical installations in order to protect persons from fire or injury". If you want to pursue it then contact the HSE but be prepared for a long drawn out process and any ramifications.

JohnD said:
alphaalarms said:
...got me volt stick out ...

Did you use a proper meter too?

why should i use a multi meter, wot a daft idia, its live! very live 240v!! mr BEDROOM FITTER was going to use this cable as a down lighter in the cupboard!!! but left it like it was a 1st fix

surely this lad should be part p?

There is no requirement for him to notify work in a bedroom to LABC under part p of the building regs unless there is a shower in the room (i.e. a special location), or he is working on the electrics in a kitchen, special installation or creating a new circuit.
As I said above, the work must be carried out in compliance with P1 anyway, wether it is notifiable or not. The fact the work is non-notifiable means that it can be done by anyone (if an employee must be competent) without notification to LABC, hence there is little advantage of him becoming a member of a competent person self certification scheme such as niceic etc.

alphaalarms said:
why should i use a multi meter, wot a daft idia, its live! very live 240v!! mr BEDROOM FITTER was going to use this cable as a down lighter in the cupboard!!! but left it like it was a 1st fix

surely this lad should be part p?

MY latest voltstick regularly returns false positive results unless I am touching something earthed while using it. How do you know yours wasn't giving a false positive result if you didn't use a meter to confirm?

You'd look a bit silly if you made a fuss about it to the HSE then found YOU were the one making the error.

Cheers. Mike

alphaalarms said:
why should i use a multi meter, wot a daft idia,

Simple, as an alarm engineer you should know how and when to use a multimeter.

IJWS15 said:
Isn't this a RIDDOR event that should be reported to HSE?
RIDDORS are accidents in the workplace which lead to an absence of 3 days or more and are reportable to the HSE

RIDDOR means Reporting of Accidents, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations.

(From the HSE website;)
You need to report:
· deaths
· major injuries
· accidents resulting in over 3 day injury
· diseases
· dangerous occurrences
. gas incidents

I'm still not entirely sure if what happened comes under a dangerous occurrence or not though
Further info here http://www.riddor.gov.uk/info.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back