finding a level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into my current house just before Christmas, and now I'm thinking about what I'm going to do with the garden (fed up of painting indoors!)

It's a fairly level plot, mainly lawn - garden is about 33ft x 50ft, but towards the end of the garden it falls away slightly - just by a few inches over the last 20ft or so. I'd like to level this up properly before I start laying a new path etc - any advice on the easiest way to find the level? Is it just a case of putting a long piece of timber across two pegs in the ground, or are there any other (more reliable) ways?

Also, one final (stupid) question :oops: - I've never hired a skip before ... how does the pricing work? Do you pay a fixed price and then have it for as long as you need, or do you hire it by the day?

Cheers
Ian

Sponsored Links
peg and string for level

skip, usualy for SIZE of skip, but do shop around

You can use a length of garden hose to find the level - fill with water and and level of water at one end will always be the same at the other.
Paul

IanJ said:
Also, one final (stupid) question :oops: - I've never hired a skip before ... how does the pricing work? Do you pay a fixed price and then have it for as long as you need, or do you hire it by the day?
Normally up to 7 days,check with the company.

You can buy a string line level which hook onto the string line.
AK9875.JPG

Sponsored Links
Engineer Lane said:
You can use a length of garden hose to find the level - fill with water and and level of water at one end will always be the same at the other.
Paul

one question, if you do as you suggest "use a length of garden hose " how will you see the water?

Yes, you're right, should be clear pipe or see-thru' and good for higher than ground level,wouldn't be easy at ground level.

Why does it have to be clear pipe?
If you use the ends of the pipe set at the height you want - you can fill the pipe with water from one end, and raise/lower the other until the water sits at the end.
Paul

Engineer Lane said:
Why does it have to be clear pipe?
Make life easier so you can see the marking on a clear pipe to get the level spot on and no water spillage.To do it your way is okay but if you let out too much water then the water level drop,need to top it up again.Thinking about it I suppose you could fit a clear pipe just on the end of each hose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back