Fine cracks in old plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just in the middle of a major renovation of a house that was built in 1927. My builder called me today to say that there was a problem with the plaster and that we would either need to overboard all the walls or strip the plaster of and start again. The problem seems to be hairline cracks in the old plaster that he says will reappear. I've included a image of the cracks.

Now these cracks are everywhere and some parts are certainly blown as you would expect but the majority sounds solid when you tap it and you certainly can't pull the plaster off. When the paper first came off I was surprised how little was blown.

This is my third renovation and I've never had this issue before. I'm pretty sure my last home which was practically identical had similar cracks and we didn't have to overboard the walls. Just wondering if anyone in the know has an opinion. The builder is saying thousands extra and another 10 days so I am reluctant to go with his recommendation with out a second opinion.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Tell your builder he can get large rolls or sheets of fibre glass mesh and skim the walls (after a bit of prepping)and bed the mesh in the first coat this will hold everything together then plaster it to a finish... The plasterer should know how to do this.. ;) Here is a run down of it......... Fibreglass Reinforcing Mesh 50 SQ/M - Plastering & Rendering - 145 g/sm Length: 50m Colour: White Width: 1m Area per roll: 50m2 Mesh Size: 4.5mm x 5mm Weight: 145g/m2 High quality, heavy duty grade fiberglass reinforcing mesh which is coated with acrylic acid copolymer liquid and is therefore water, alkali and age resistant. The mesh has high tensile strength, good dimensional stability, good elasticity, capillary action and corrosion resistance. The mesh is ideal for use in construction and is mainly used to reinforce concrete, cement, screeds, renders and plasters. It is an ideal reinforcement for render, even where cracking can be seen and allows previously uneven masonry substrates to be rendered. Fibreglass rendering mesh benefits: • Excellent stability, strength and cohesion • Highly tear resistant • Alkali-resistant • Durable for over 50 years • Specially designed to avoid wall cracking • Extremely economical and waste free • Very light and easy to cut (no special equipment required) Intended use: The product is widely used for: • reinforcing insulated renders • crack preventing when applying with plasters and tile adhesives • layout, coating or mechanically formed GRC and reinforcing panels • flat board • mobile homes • duct panels • cable boxes granaries • water tanks and bath tubs Fibreglass mesh is also used in: • roof waterproofing • marble and mosaic wall reinforcement It is an excellent reinforcing material for internal and external wall insulation systems. The product is widely used to reinforce walls and prevent cracking. The majority of manufacturers recommend the placement of meshes to be within the first 50% of the Render / plaster depth. In general, the nearer the mesh to the substrate, the better.

Thanks for your help. After mentioning this solution the plasterer said "well I suppose we could do it that way" so result. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Tell your builder he can get large rolls or sheets of fibre glass mesh and skim the walls (after a bit of prepping)and bed the mesh in the first coat this will hold everything together then plaster it to a finish...

It looks like a huge roll of scrim tape - though I guess it's not self-adhesive like scrim.

OP - sounds a great result - esp on the wallet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back