Finger jointing Oak Worktop round 90 degrees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm looking for some advice on how to create a finger joint on 40mm thick worktop when the length is going to be 1.5m long.

I've got a medium table saw (titan table saw from screwfix), a normal jigsaw, drills and drill bits and I can probably source most normal tools if needed from friends or family or buy cheap from screwfix etc.

Essentially the look I wish to create is this: https://goo.gl/images/cZoMJP

I also need to use a router to create a slot for 3mm perspex to slide into the front.

The project is essentially for a large 1m high by 1.5m length lightbox.

My main concern is being able to accurately and evenly cut multiple fingers into the worktop when it'll be ****ing heavy and hard to handle.

I've seen people use jigs to accurately and speedily recreate the fingers over and over, which works on wood that's 1cm thick and 10cm long, But I don't think I'll be able to hold 1.5m of worktop upright over the table saw to get any sort of accurate cut.

Generally I'm a safe and competent wood worker able to do most things on a smaller scale but this is a bit more tricky.

I also don't have the luxury of help on this one, but I probably do have the luxury of time.

My final question is if I approach some carpenters for this, what would a reasonable cost be?

I'd prefer to do it myself to have the satisfaction of having achieved it myself, but because it's for a deadline (albeit nearly 2 months away) I may end up having to defer to an expert for their tools or machinery.

Many thanks!
Ourkid1010

Sponsored Links
you cannot safely use a machine unless its hand held
router and jig hand saw and sharp chisel
not a jig saw not a table saw
its not a job for a beginner really

Hello thanks for the reply. I agree that using a table saw probably won't be the right thing. I guess I but need the initial cuts in half, as I'm getting 1x 2m board and 1x3m board, so I can ask the manufacturer to do the initial half cuts, then I will just need to cut my fingers in, which can be done with a hand held jig saw.

From there how does one finish the inside of the fingers to ensure a smooth finish and a tight fit? Just use a file to smooth it down?

What should this cost if I went to a carpenter..? Sounds like if they have the right tools it shouldn't be more than a few hours work. Theyre not intricate dovetails or anything like that.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
they have to be almost as accurate as dovetails
dovetails "lock" together giving strength and stability in all directions
i would choose a double line off biscuits or 8mmx45mm dowels
you can also try a say a 12mmx12mm slot cut into the top and bottom and a corresponding tongue cut into the sides
there are at least 20 ways to do this tasks you have chosen the one most likley to be way above your skills level

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back