Finger Oak Parquet flooring just sanded how best to treat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just sanded my old oak parquet flooring down and wanted to know what is the best way to treat it, e.g. varnish, resin, oil? Once done I want it to be maintenance free so I'm looking at something permanent which will look good and stay looking good for a long time. I heard that oak doesnt take kindly to varnish, is this right? Can anyone please advise me? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I have just sanded my old oak parquet flooring down and wanted to know what is the best way to treat it, e.g. varnish, resin, oil? Once done I want it to be maintenance free so I'm looking at something permanent which will look good and stay looking good for a long time. I heard that oak doesnt take kindly to varnish, is this right? Can anyone please advise me? Thanks in advance.

Oak takes varnish very well. less maintenece you would want to put on a varnish {put it on with a roller] and use a good brand like bona or eukula

Rumours spread by the Hardwax Oil brigade :LOL:

Oak and Varnish (Lacquer) go very well together. (I have it in my own house). The issue may be previous treatments with oils or wax that are now down the many joints that your finger parquet has. A coat of Nova Quik barrier seal would sort that out and then 3 coats of Bona Mega would look great.

Once dry the maintenance on a lacquered floor is very easy. Sadly nothing in this world is maintenance free!!

Sponsored Links
No finish is ever maintenance free, if you want to enjoy your wooden floor for many years to come. The varnish layer has to be 'maintained' too to keep it in good nick, to disguise small damages like scratches.
So, every wooden floor needs a maintenance product applied every 5 -6 months: oiled floors, HardWaxOiled floors, waxed floors, varnished floors and lacquered floors.

Anyone telling you different is wrong.

After the final coat of lacquer:-
Touch dry after about 4 hours.
Able to take very light foot traffic after 12 hours
Heavy foot traffic after about 3 days
Fully dry after 7 days. Able to clean with cleaners and let the dog back in!!

Obviously every manufacturer / product has variances but the above will apply to most lacquers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back