Fingers crossed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Very unnerving news regarding the shuttle's take off, Let's hope there are no repercussions of last time and that the crew return to earth safely.
It seems that this may well be the last launch of the shuttle in it's present form, there certainly seems to be more incidents recently than in the past, is it because of the age of the craft that it is becoming more dangerous to fly than ever before? I realise space flight has always had it's dangers but statistically there seems to be a greater danger in recent times?
Anyway I'm sure i speak for everyone when we wish them a safe return.

Sponsored Links
It's questionable whether the physical condition of the shuttle was the prime reason for its demise last time. The oft quoted reason is the tiles falling off, but there is photographic information of a lightning strike that NASA tried to brush off as camera shake, then choked a bit when they found they might have a real problem with sprites. So it could happen to ANY re-entry.

The shuttles are old and Nasa's budget has been cut for decades now. Only recently has there been a new increase in funds, but US of A has other concerns and items to spend their moneys on, I think.
The European Space Agency contributed to the shuttles (loading bay etc), but those were a one-off if I remember correctly.
Russian is out, China is coming into the 'space-race' and perhaps they will build a better (i.e. modern) space-craft with re-entry ability.

It's a shame in fact with the shuttle trouble, the space-station now will take for-ever to complete.

I believe NASA had a new shuttle project ready to replace the old shuttles? Perhaps budgets have been cut due to other costly endevours elsewhere and the project has been shelved?
Is Japan any more advanced with their shuttle design?

Sponsored Links
well it's a sign of the times when a super wealthy nation like Japan has to think about shelving it's space projects for the time being.
I just hope that it's not another 30 years before we start to explore space properly again.

Back