finishing laminate flooring upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question regarding laminate flooring. I have installed it in all the upstairs bedrooms and will now be doing the upstairs passage. How do I finish it at the top of the stairs? Do I simply put a normal end strip at the edge of the top stair so the laminate comes under the strip. I thought this may cause a problem because people will always put their foot on the strip to go downstairs and the difference in level between the top of the strip and the laminate will be destabilising.

Anyone got any ideas about a better way to finish the floor in this position?

cheers
sanjay

Sponsored Links
There is an expensive solution and a chepaer one. You can buy and install a special stair nosing specially made for this purpose, to make it almost flush with the boards, or
you can buy a L-profile (thin say 4 - 6 mm thick) to finish it of and it's not much of a height difference.

can anyone point me to a picture showing how an L profile is fitted in this situation?

I presume I will need to take the nose off the top step to attach an L profile. Is there something avavilible that is curved and which fits over the nose of the step?

thanks
sanjay

Sponsored Links
Only if you try your local joinery. They will be able to make anyhting you need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back