Fire Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a fire door fitted between an attached garage and utility room, it’s plastered on the utility room side but not the garage and I suspect building control will want something in the gaps.

Any idea what I can use, hinge side there is room for fire board but it’s only 50mm, there’s a 25mm gap between the door lining and the lintel and a 15mm gap on the opening side.

Thanks

Attachments

• B8FF0242-DC5D-4BF2-9518-B40D1A1773C8.jpeg
    B8FF0242-DC5D-4BF2-9518-B40D1A1773C8.jpeg
    317.7 KB · Views: 42
Sponsored Links
If the gap is more than 5mm you are supposed to pack it with mineral wool to within 10mm of the surface then fill the last 10mm with intumescent caulk (a messy job). Fire foam is nowadays regarded as suspect because it can deteriorate over time and lose its' fire retardant properties. The gap between the door and tbe frame should be 2 to 4mm at the be top and sides and not more than 4mm at the bottom (current regs)

But is that actually a solid or semi-solid fire door? With intumescent strips in the frame and a door closer fitted?

Thanks, it doesn’t have a closer, building control may request it does.

I was wondering about fire foam but wasn’t sure if it would be accepted.

I’ll have a look at the mineral wool route first.

Thanks

I was wondering about fire foam but wasn’t sure if it would be accepted.
On bigger jobs where it is generally not permitted these days. The BCO may or may not permit it, but either way mineral wool was the traditional approach - the main change in recent years has been the move to having intumescent caulk as well. In the event of a fire this swells to block any gaps anf slows the spread of the fire

Sponsored Links
I'd fill with wood strips stuck with polymer grab. Buy off rack at diy then fill gap with incandescent mastic.

You need 3 hinges on that door

I think he meant intumescent - the thought of a fire door actually being a fire door and perhaps spontaniosly combusting leaves me somewhat perplexed.

On bigger jobs where it is generally not permitted these days. The BCO may or may not permit it, but either way mineral wool was the traditional approach - the main change in recent years has been the move to having intumescent caulk as well. In the event of a fire this swells to block any gaps anf slows the spread of the fire
This kind of thing?

1666021517723.png

I had some for pipes going through the garage ceiling. Also a sort of cushion to pack into the duct

Fire foam (Blue 60 comes to mind) and architrave. BCO's do not inspect gaps around doors behind architraves.

I used pink fire foam round mine. I suppose I could add caulk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back