Fire Hazard? 2.5mm 20A Cable Changing To 4mm 25A Cable

Oh blimey...

Indeed so - I presume that 'we' have no control over those pages - so to whom do we complain?
William Martin Esq, I guess.

IMO the best thing would be to have a Wiki article already prepared, with an overview of why cables have different CCCs, how installation method affects that etc. Eric seems to have a soft copy of the regs - perhaps he could be persuaded to copy some of Appendix 4 - the relevant installation methods, the table for T/E etc.

When it's all done, ask Admin to edit that page to point to the Wiki.

I wonder what other dodgy stuff is lurking in the "How to..." pages.....

Sponsored Links
The second diagram shows the 2 rads drawing 5KW in total and the current is flowing through the 4mm cable, AND the 2.5mm one but as you can see, the telly is switched off!
So if the TV is off what would be causing current to flow in the final segment?

This may sound strange to you but that's what I wanted you to say. I knew that diagram 2 was wrong when I made it but I wanted to make 100% sure that it was wrong by having it confirmed. I think it's mainly because I've always been taught that electrics are dangerous so I'm extra careful about it and even things I know about, I still feel i want to check them. Just the word 'electrics' makes me feel queasy lol

I think diagram 1 is right and diagram 2 is wrong. All i need now is for someone to confirm.
I think it's great that you want to learn how things work, but if you are still at the stage where you don't understand the basics of electrical circuits well enough to know, without needing someone to confirm, that if there is no load then there will be no current then you really should do some studying which is properly structured, rather than asking random questions to try and eliminate the niggling things that you might think are all you need to clarify.

The problem with your approach is that you are only going to ask about the things you realise you don't know or don't understand. If there are things you don't know but don't even realise you don't know because you don't know they even exist then you won't ask about them. Ditto with things which you think you understand but are actually wrong.

There's not much that Donald Rumsfeld and I see eye-to-eye on, but he was spot on when he said:

There are known knowns; there are things we know that we know.
There are known unknowns; that is to say there are things that we now know we don't know.
But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know.

Wow that's confusing lol. That's going to take me a while to absorb that but thanks for posting it, it's rather interesting.

Asking questions here can be a useful part of a learning process, but they are not a substitute for proper structured studying. The key term there is "learning process" - you cannot learn all the things you need to know just by asking questions here. It isn't structured enough - it won't provide you with a way to progress where each step builds on what you learned before.

You won't ask about things which you don't realise you don't know, or don't realise you've got wrong.

Next step then is to buy a book. All I've got at the moment is a DIYers book and only covers a snippet on electrics. I'll have to choose wisely.

Thanks for all your help everyone, it's taught me more than I expected.

Oh blimey... I wonder what other dodgy stuff is lurking in the "How to..." pages.....
One wonders indeed! I suppose someone ought to do a careful review; on the basis of what we've just uncovered, I'd be fairly surprised if there are not plenty of other problems.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Had a quick look through all the sections. They could all benefit from updating, correcting and additions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back