Fire ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As i have been off work for the last foe days I decided to do some decorating and try to make my lounge look less 70's.

I have now removed the stone effect mantel/storage thing that ran from wall to wall. I have also demolished the bit surrounding the fire as it seemed sensible to do that at the same time.

Fire is a gas fire but has remained in situ. The fire is quite an old one and im looking to get a more modern fire and surround but im looking to know what is decent. Rather than get something pretty from a shop that turns out to be iffy.

Suggestions of helpfull fire shops and websites please.

Sponsored Links
Anybody?

As i would ideally like to buy from the same place that will fit the fire incase of any problems.

www.valor.co.uk the dream fireslide is a very good fire heat wise and looks.
i take it you will be going for an inset fire go for fire with the greatest depth as these are far better than the ones that are only 9/12cm deep that diy places sell.
Or have a look on the baxi site for fires they are ok too

. The fire is quite an old one and im looking to get a more modern fire and surround but im looking to know what is decent.
Suggestions of helpfull fire shops and websites please.[/quote][/i]

You have had a poor response probably because your query is non specific. How can we recommend a shop, if we don't know your location? Also, most proffesionals would have no interest in, and therefore no idea about on line fire retailers.

Rather than get something pretty from a shop that turns out to be iffy.
Do you expect the fire or the shop to be "iffy"?

My advice wouold be to visit a local retailer ie a proper independant gas fire showroom. Make sure that they offer a full installation and maintenance service. Also make sure that the retailer employs the fitters, and that you DONT pay fitters seperately. If you pay them seperately, the chances are that you will have to rely on the manufacturer for any in warranty breakdown visits, and, in the main, they are useless

Sponsored Links
Do you want this fire to look pretty but not be turned on very often?
Do you want this fire to look pretty when it's turned on?
Do you want this fire to give out usable heat and not cost a fortune to run?

I have heard bad things about major store fires like B & Q etc. There is only one fire shop I know of near me and I have had a look there for what we wanted, although the assistant put me off from buying from them as she didnt seem to have a clue what she was on about when I asked questions.

I am based in ME10, sorry i thought that came up on my profile so didnt bother saying.

a - Yes out central heating works fine, just need something to fill the space in the wall the last one left and maybe provide some heat when it snows.
b - Yes, I like the real flame look
c - Usable heat yes, but not too bothered about cost as the last one was used so little.

I have heard bad things about major store fires like B & Q etc. There is only one fire shop I know of near me and I have had a look there for what we wanted, although the assistant put me off from buying from them as she didnt seem to have a clue what she was on about when I asked questions.

Yea, fair comment. Theres a few shops around here, but we are the only good one!

Seriously though, if your local retailer is naff, then use the Gas Safe register facility to find some local RGI ticketed for fires. Have a chat with them on the phone, and see how they "come over". In particular, ask them who you phone if you have an in warranty issue. Most fire manufacturers have poor after sales service, and rely on the supplying installer to a great extent.

a - Yes out central heating works fine, just need something to fill the space in the wall the last one left and maybe provide some heat when it snows.
b - Yes, I like the real flame look
c - Usable heat yes, but not too bothered about cost as the last one was used so little.

Then an electric flame effect wire will probably be best as you can have the pretty flicker without any heat most of the time, and the electric fan output for occasional boost.

You will also be able to seal up the chimney and any combustion ventilation, reducing heat losses from the room.

c - Usable heat yes, but not too bothered about cost as the last one was used so little.[/quote]

You will also be able to seal up the chimney and any combustion ventilation, reducing heat losses from the room.[/quote]

A very goood point, an one which we discuss in the shop. Think carefully about how "little" you use it. Loads of people say this at work, and we ask them to quantify. The answer is often:

Only when its cold and for a few hours or so in the evening. We then sell'em a decent gas fire.

We do, though, sell a lot of electric fires to the limited users

To be honest we hardly use it but I think a gas fire would be better if/when we sell.

I have now found one on ebay I like from some place called discount fireplaces? Has anyone heard of them?

But still need to get an installer sorted out.

Valor. decent quality, good support from manufacturers.

If you go to a proper fierplace showroom, ask if they are a Valor Centre. If they are, you get a free 3 yr warranyt, with no requirement to change ODS on service

I will ask for some more info on the fire I found on ebay.

I think the shop I went to was a valor center

Do you realise that the heatloss through the chimney over a 24 hour period is greater than the heat produced by the fire?
An open flue fire is a very uneconomical way of heating.

bengasman";p="1859775[i] said:
Do you realise that the heatloss through the chimney over a 24 hour period is greater than the heat produced by the fire?[/i]An open flue fire is a very uneconomical way of heating.

Sorry, Ben, but that is nonsense, unless you are talking of an "inset tray" or "basket" fire. A glass fronted HE fire is 80/92 % efficient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back