Fire rated down lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just a quick question on fire rated down lights. What is the fire rating of X minutes for? The lamp catching fire and setting the ceiling or above alight? Fire above the light coming down into the room below? Or both?

Trying to work out whether they are necessary in my single storey extension with free space around them

Sponsored Links
The fire rating is the time they will resist a fire breaking through the light fitting from the space below to the space above.

Personal choice, but would be advisable to check any lease/rental agreement and insurance policy. I would always install them in my own place.

Edit - "Iggifer" has raised a very important issue below, post #6

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for clearing up. So With my flat roof above, not a huge deal.
No deal at all, really. The only common situation (in the average domestic building) in which fire-rated ceiling lights are required is if the floor above is a separate dwelling (e.g. flat), in which case the ceiling/floor between the two has to function as a fire barrier.

Kind Regards, John

The only issue with installing them in a flat roof is you shouldn't install them in a cold roof, only a warm roof. Otherwise you will introduce cold spots and potentially condensation. A cold roof is the more common type of flat roof as it's cheaper.

Cold_VS_Warm_Roof.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back