1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Rated Ironmongery - Tubular Latch

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by primetime, 22 May 2017.

1. primetime

primetime

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Am fitting 2 fire doors, one for the loft entrance and one downstairs where the stair banister was closed in adjacent to the front door. They are FD30. Looking at handles and latches, do these need to be FD30? I've had a search on here/google but can't find anything definitive. Thanks.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. freddiemercurystwin

freddiemercurystwin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Technically they do but it depends on your BCO if he is a knob or not. Obviously if you ask him he may then insist but if you don't he probably won't care.

4. primetime

primetime

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Knob? No pun intended? :D Cheers for that. BCO has seemed pretty good so far. Will ask the question. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of choice on FD30 knobs so made me wonder if it's a requirement.

5. chappers

chappers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    if you ask I'm sure he will insist, it's his job to. But I have never bothered and never been pulled up or asked.
    I suspect that most handles and latches are up to standard but just not certified

6. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    you can buy, or cut to size, intumescent sheet to make pads to go under hinges and around locks.
    http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/products/intumescent_and_fire_control/intumescent_accessories

I haven't seem one ready-cut for plain tubular latches but something like this would do (with some left over)

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/product/codelocks-tubular-latch-intumescent-pack-507717

made of this stuff I think
    https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/product/intumescent-gasket-38x1000mm-707178

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Sponsored Links
  8. primetime

primetime

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks guys. The blurb that came with the door mentions hinge number and rating, door stops etc but doesn't mention anything about the rating of the other hardware. I have some intumescent pad left over from doing the hinges so will use that for the latch set.

9. primetime

primetime

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A bit of further clarification on this from BCO...

The door handle does not really impinge on the door fire resistance, however the handles should comply with BS EN 1906 and / or BS EN 8424: 2004

10. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    Can you save us the trouble of looking up what that means?

11. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What function does an intumescent pad under a hinge or latch perform?

NB. Intumescent materials expand to seal gaps when heated

12. primetime

primetime

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    BS EN 1906 is for lever handles and knobs (latched), BS EN 8424 is for pull handles (unlatched). Sorry, I don't have the specifics. Essentially, get quality stuff, don't remove more wood than necessary, plastic is a no-no.

Hinge and latch intumescents have baffled me for a while as well but have included them for completeness. Quite a simple job to cut out of a sheet.

13. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links