Fire regs / exiting through 1st floor...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

A friend of mine has called me saying that he is having trouble with his insurance company setting up a policy, as his 1st floor windows do not give him adequate openings to escape if a fire breaks out.

ive searched and searched on google for fire regs and read through quite a bit, but cant find it set in stone whether or not he needs to get the windows changed/looked at to enable him a safe exit in case of a fire.

any help much appreicated.

Sponsored Links
i'm sure escape windows are only applicable to new build or replacement windows. i.e. not existing.

first floor windows and some ground floor window scenarios apply.

the opening light needs to be 750mm tall and 450mm wide (0.33 sq mm)

the bottom of the open-able area should be no more than 1100mm from f.f.l.

Regardless of whether regs apply to new only, or are retrospective, the insurance company will often make their own rules. :evil:

Sponsored Links
There is no need to change windows to current building regulations. In fact building regulations don't and can't apply to anything except new work, and the approved documents' recomendsations (sizes as stated above) are just a guide to one way of acheiving something. There are other ways.

That seems like an odd policy - it certainly is not common to have such requirements.

One way to satisfy the insurers is to have a permanent small 'escape' type hammer to break the panes if need be, fixed near to the window (behind the curtains)

The other way is to choose another insurer.

According to the SafeSyle UK monkey that came to my place to quote me for d/g: You are not allowed to make the window exit worse.

My existing windows (c1960's) have small, rectangular openings at the tops, running horizontally. You'd be hard pressed to get the cat out of them, let alone a person.

Monkey said we could swap like-for-like or bigger but not swap for smaller opening lights/no openings.

I should point out that this 'rep' was an odious little ferret upon whom I would not have widdled had he, in fact, been ablaze. Rambled on for 3hrs about everything bar windows in an attempt to make a sale! :rolleyes:

According to the SafeSyle UK monkey that came to my place to quote me for d/g: You are not allowed to make the window exit worse.

My existing windows (c1960's) have small, rectangular openings at the tops, running horizontally. You'd be hard pressed to get the cat out of them, let alone a person.

Monkey said we could swap like-for-like or bigger but not swap for smaller opening lights/no openings.

I should point out that this 'rep' was an odious little ferret upon whom I would not have widdled had he, in fact, been ablaze. Rambled on for 3hrs about everything bar windows in an attempt to make a sale! :rolleyes:
At least he got something right :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back