fire regs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got a quote for new double glazing and in some rooms where I was just going to have top openings they insisted I have a window opening that was large enough as a fire escape in case of fire. Is this the case or are they just trying to ensure I spend more money on casement windows rather than just top opening? Anyone know? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo madaline and welcome :D ;)

dont quote me but i think you need an escape route from anywhere in the house if there is a fire

dont forget how difficult double glazing is to break

you can hit a double glazed window with a chair and it wont break
would you like to be trapped till the fire brigade or help gets there :cry: :cry:

also dont accept the first price expect at least 40% off the average price around

Hi
Thanks for the quick reply. Well, that does seem to be the case. I do have fire escapes elsewhere, it was just the living room mainly but I understand now as it is not on the ground floor, it is more important to have an opening window in that room.
Will get more quotes also.
byee

madeleine said:
I have got a quote for new double glazing and in some rooms where I was just going to have top openings they insisted I have a window opening that was large enough as a fire escape in case of fire. Is this the case or are they just trying to ensure I spend more money on casement windows rather than just top opening? Anyone know? :rolleyes:
I would say this is a very good advice, make sure you can get out of any windows because you never know where the fire might start.

Sponsored Links
Building Regulations Part B Fire Safety

The Law requires:

“Means of warning and escape
B1. The building shall be designed and constructed so that there are appropriate provisions for the early warning of fire, and appropriate means of escape in case of fire from the building to a place of safety outside the building capable of being safely and effectively used at all material times.”

The Guidance states:

“Emergency egress windows and external doors
2.11 Any window provided for emergency egress purposes and any external door provided for escape should comply with the following conditions.
a. The window should have an unobstructed openable area that is at least 0.33m2 and at least 450mm high and 450mm wide (the route through the window may be at an angle rather than straight through). The bottom of the openable area should be not more than 1100mm above the floor....”

It’s that last sentence that effectively prohibits the window design you suggest. It is frightening how many replacement windows one sees that ignore this very sensible provision. In an emergency you will be glad of the advice and the window should not be much more expensive.

biffvernon said:
Building Regulations Part B Fire Safety

The Law requires:

“Means of warning and escape
B1. The building shall be designed and constructed so that there are appropriate provisions for the early warning of fire, and appropriate means of escape in case of fire from the building to a place of safety outside the building capable of being safely and effectively used at all material times.”

The Guidance states:

“Emergency egress windows and external doors
2.11 Any window provided for emergency egress purposes and any external door provided for escape should comply with the following conditions.
a. The window should have an unobstructed openable area that is at least 0.33m2 and at least 450mm high and 450mm wide (the route through the window may be at an angle rather than straight through). The bottom of the openable area should be not more than 1100mm above the floor....”

It’s that last sentence that effectively prohibits the window design you suggest. It is frightening how many replacement windows one sees that ignore this very sensible provision. In an emergency you will be glad of the advice and the window should not be much more expensive.

These are the regs for new buildings and not that relevant for replacement work.

The FENSA guideline are you should not make the means of escape any worst, so if you replace top opening window with the same design that is acceptable, although if you are replacing frame its a good idea to have bottom openers as well, although if you have top openers and fit new windows with bottom openers only you must include some means of high level ventilation such as a triclke vent

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back