fireman switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i know a fireman switch is usually located outside a building to disconnect high voltage lighting in case of a fire our other situations but could anybody give me other examples of when they are needed and what they are used to disconnect ... main supply for building??? ect..

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You often see them on petrol stations.
Sometimes in buildings with ventilation systems to shut them off.

Not your homework I hope :LOL:

Don't forget, they are now referred to as fire fighters switches :rolleyes:

The main times you see them are on petrol station forecourts to kill the pumps and outside buildings with HV signs.

I have seen them requested for sites to kill the supply and backup generator, but the request was over-ruled due to the possibility of 'pranks'.

Sponsored Links
A fire switch in a petrol station, should as well as isolating the mains supply to each pump, also disconnect the lower voltage data lines to the pumps, usually done by use of normally open relays/contactors.

They are held in by a loop circuit via the fireswitch and emer stop buttons under the counter.

A second switch is usually for the canopy perimeter lights which are quite often neons.
The under canopy lights are not usually via the switch as they are sons or metal halide.

In a pfs the switch should be red and now mounted on a yellow background.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back