Fireplace wall very hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Hope some one can give me advice.
I had a inset multifuel fire fitted abut 18 months ago. Since it was fitted I notice the wall above gets very hot. I have measured the temp and gets to 90 C up to 2 feet above the Opening.
The company fitted a flexible stainless 6 inch flue. I have contacted the company several times and been told it's safe. Am I just being given paranoid?

Sponsored Links
No you're not. It's possible that the fires burning too hot, but I suspect that the liners sitting up against the wall. To get 90C on the outside, it'd have to be a lot hotter on the other side of the brick. They should be able to loosen the collar, twist the liner backwards, and then tighten things back up again, but being an inset fire, they may have to take the fire out first to adjust it.

Sponsored Links
Doggit's post.

Edit:
General Guide of Flue Gas Temperature Zones
Too Hot – Over 250oC. (Temperatures above this may occur during initial fire up, but should be avoided during standard operation).

Too Cool – Under 110oC. (During appliance cool down this temperature will occur, but should be avoided during standard operation).

Ideal Temperature – Between 110oC and 250oC.

http://specflue.com/news/title/how-hot-does-your-stove-burn

For sure I'd expect the stove pipe temperature to reach those figures but is the OP talking about the chimney breast temperature? Surely not!
John :)

This is an inset stove, where is the heat going to go if not the the surrounding lump of brickwork.

As there's a liner fitted, the majority of the heat should be going directly up the liner with a residual amount being transferred across the air gap in to the brickwork. Now if there wasn't a liner fitted, then a very warm chimney would be reasonable, but not a very hot one, so Nphil, is the heat spread evenly over the whole chimney breast, or is it localised. Does it start low down, or about a foot up.

I have a woodburner with a liner and insulation, so obviously the chimneys not warm at all, but I've got a friend with no liner, and her chimney breast gets only slightly warm.

Stainless steel flexible liner, heat is in the middle of the the wall, Width of the hotest area is about a foot wide and goes is hot for about 2 feet. Burning seasoned wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back